Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SmilinSam

Simplicity built Craftsmans / Re-Badged Allis Chalmers

SmilinSam

Starting this topic to build and maintain a history of these Black and Silver tractors built by Simplicity. I am posting what I know , which is mostly form other cources and my memory, as well as some extrapolation. Anyone with hard information, please do chime in here . That way we can develop a more precise  and accurate history.

Went to an auction to photo and look over a Simplicity built Craftsman "ConQuest" Re-Badged by Simplicity to Allis Chalmers.

Seems from what I have heard and read, we can reasonably extrapolate  that for a short period Simplicity made Broadmoors, ConQuests and  perhaps Prestige versions for Craftsman to sell in their "pro" line. I recall seeing  some these on the Craftsman/Sears website myself  back when these were available.

Apparently when the contract to build these ended Simplicity was stuck with a number of these unsold Black/Silver Craftsmans.

Around this same time frame Simplicity was making their "Allis Chalmers line of white hooded Orange tractors with the red Allis decals to compete in the "box store market". Thje decison was apparently made to re-badge these leftover Black Craftsman tractors as "Allis Chalmers"

medium.DSCN2105.JPG.16516d9c60761f7ac4e3

medium.DSCN2108.JPG.2c78a0fbd9a4e85a37c7

medium.DSCN2109.JPG.e739f9de1147055efaf8

medium.DSCN2111.JPG.0e04a1cce4e4d2c7c730

medium.DSCN2112.JPG.3f1240762fab3c843328

This is a conquest version. The tractor itself is a basic Conquest. This tractor is a 2011 , at least that is according to the code number on the engine. It has a Intek  twin for an engine. Manual steering, 2 pedal foot control hydro with diff lock. Manual lift lever, though with the 52" murray ? type deck(similar to the ones found on the white hooded Allis Chalmers tractors) the lift lever does not do anything. to lift the deck. There are no connection chains attached to the lift hooks the lever moves.

Instead the rear of the deck hangs on chains the are on hooks at the back of the outside edges of the footplates on each side of the tractor. There is a button on the dash like the legacy tractors have to operate a electric lift actuator, and it adjusts the cutting heighth.  I really couldnt see where there was any other way to make the deck go up or down. I also noted that the electric actuator was located at the bottom edge of the rear of the deck. If you mowed through wet areas like I did today, that would tend to occasionally put it underwater where it is located.

medium.DSCN2106.JPG.16d852631faec7dc6ff2

medium.DSCN2107.JPG.e381b02b3120eb6628f4

Seems they left one trace of the Craftsman nomenclature on the tractors. The steering wheels have a craftsman logo in the center.

medium.DSCN2110.JPG.4e71240be4739added0d

The snapper versions of The Simplicity Broadmoor/ConQuest/Prestige tractors were offered with deck stampings like the Simplicity 44/50/54" decks, I have seen those myself. The only real difference between them and the Simplicity versions is that the snapper versions had gauge wheels on the corners instead of the roller bars. However I have read in the past where roller bar kits were available at added expense.

I do not know that  other decks were available for these Craftsman tractors that the 52" deck that is on this one. I have also seen newer Simplicity tractors offered with a 52" deck, and do not know whether its the same 52" decks as this  but with a roller bar on it or not.

Any further info on these tractors would be greatly appreciated to add to this historical endeavor here.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Thanks 2

SmilinSam

Typing the model number, 2691146-00 ,  into the manuals  section of the Simplicity website brings up the owners manual for the Allis Chalmers  YT9500 series tractor offered with only a 52" deck

Reading up on the manual it does show that there is a lift cable that hooks to the tractors lift lever setup to raise the deck into transport position. I did not see this cable present on the tractor above at the sale.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

Chris727

Sam, there was a Prestige version but it was an earlier model in the Craftsman Professional series and had the yellow 54" Simplicity deck (at the time the "Professional Series" has yellow decks. I saw one of these (like the one at the sale) on the Sears sales floor. There were many models offered at the time, from a Craftsman Snapper rear engine rider up to the Conquest/Prestige hybrids, including Regents and Broadmoor's also . 

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1