Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Motor questions

cowfan

I have a repowered 7016, with a Briggs 326437 0252 7804141 motor.

Last season when under a load for about 30 mins to an hour, it would sputter, cough and quit.  When I leave it for about 30 minutes, it will start back up and do the same.  Over the winter, I rebuilt the carb, put in new points and condenser. What  would be the cause of the rough running/dying during a load/ mowing?

Also,

Where does the throttle arm go into the governor? What is the correct position on the governor?

How tight do I set the idler?

sorry for the questions, I am still learning.

Dying under load - - I'm thinking it is the coil.  A worn out coil will quit when it gets warm.  But if there are also governor issues, you should address them first.

Throttle arm & governor issues - - Zippo Varga (here in the club) has really good videos to answer these questions.

Idler tension - - with the idler engaged, the other side of the belt should still have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch free play.

• Like 4

Thank you.  I watched Zippo video tonight.  I will look at it tomorrow.  Would this also create an underpower issue as well?

Agree with the coil if it dies when hot. Underpower? If it dies when hot..loss of power, Yes. However, does it continue running, just not at full speed and power? You are asking a couple of questions that might or might not be related

• Like 1

It stops running.  It tries to run as I decelerate and turn off mower.  It stalls and I have to wait a few minutes.

Points too close will do the same. You put new points in, at what gap? A standard business card thickness is a decent amount of gap, .020 is where they should be set. Try setting them before you go to the trouble of removing the shroud to get at the coil. This requires the engine to be off the tractor...

Thanks for the reply. I did use a business card, but I will try to set them again.

Edited by cowfan