Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B112 vs HB112

Uncle_Bob

Hello, I’m currently looking for a decent AC HB112. As everyone knows they’re fairly rare. I’m in Northern Ct and there were many Simplicity dealers  and 5 or 6 AC dealers within a 100 mile radius, so at some point one will pop up. My question to everyone on this fine forum is, should I also be looking at the B112’s? Is the hydro worth the search? I will be mowing and snow blowing with tractor. 

Thanks,

John

Hi John,  Welcome to the site. Glad you could join us. 

Regarding your question, sorry I can't be of more help as I have never snow blowed with either one of these tractors but have cut grass with a B112  so I don't feel qualified to give you an informative answer  but I am sure others will be along to give you their input on the pros and cons of each.

In the end it comes down to whatever one your more comfortable with. I would say from past experience,  if you have a lot of short runs cutting or blowing the hydro can be a bit easier but others love their gear shift tractors so it is somewhat of a personal choice.

Please come on back after you make your purchase and be sure to share some pics and join in on some of the interesting conversations that take place in our forums. We all enjoy a new perspective and viewpoint from others.

Again,  Welcome  and remember,  there are NO dumb questions on this site. 

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

Hi and welcome to the site!  I have a B112 and love it as it is an original paint barn find machine.  A hydro would be nice.  A regular 112 has the variable 7 speed range that can be a pain to adjust if it is wore out.  

• Like 1

I really like hydros for mowing and blowing. Depending on how much work you want to do, you might be able to fit a later model hydro to a b112.

Thanks guys, I had a 3212v I believe it was probably 15+ years ago and it was pretty worn out so it really wasn’t an accurate representation of one that was “right”. It’s just that the straight B’s are more plentiful. I’m not up against it and need a tractor right away. I currently have a cub 123 with hydraulic lift. They’re a good tractor but my dad has a bunch of spare parts so an AC makes a certain amount of sense

I like them both but they each have their wear points. As others have pointed out the variables have trouble with the sheaves, pins, and linkages wearing. I have had four of the variables that I have worked on/owned and three of the four adjusted just fine. The fourth is still having issues. The hydro's operate very smoothly and are awesome to drive. They do usually require a new set of hoses if they haven't been replaced yet (cheap bulk hose). Its labor intensive to replace the hoses, I find it easiest to remove the left side plate to gain access. The vickers hydro-static units are well-known for leaking at the pintle shafts. Some have had success fixing it. I took one of mine apart and did some repairs. I slowed the leak down quite a bit but its still seeping just a little. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the site from south central CT. There are a few of us here in-state. Seems I saw an HB112 pop up on CL within the past 3-6 months. The obvious solution is get both! (the rule of thumb is a ratio of one-tractor-to-one-attachment)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Haha ur right! Well, I just bought an HB112 from Sandy Lake Implement over the phone about an hour ago. Now I need to find someone to transport it. Comes with three belt blower and 48” deck. Now I need to use the search function to learn about the blower. Never had any experience with one. Over the past 15-16 years I’ve joined many of the online forums and I must say this is the best one. I don’t post much but read it a lot. 

655ACC61-9724-41D7-932E-2741218EE312.jpeg

259C3DF2-BABD-4D3D-AC99-556F0D011469.jpeg

Edited by Uncle_Bob
  • Like 3

Do you mind if I ask what you paid Sandy lake for that gem? It might give other's a point of reference.

I THOUGHT that the 112's seats came with arm rests. I know the B10 and B210 did.

2 hours ago, kwt said:

Do you mind if I ask what you paid Sandy lake for that gem? It might give other's a point of reference.

I THOUGHT that the 112's seats came with arm rests. I know the B10 and B210 did.

All of the large frame B-Series came with arm rests originally. 

Of course, I paid a $1000 with the snowblower, nice 48” deck and armrests/extra seat cushions. I didn’t want the 3 belt blower but maybe somebody on here will at some point. I’ll find a later style blower

Edited by Uncle_Bob
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle_Bob said:

Of course, I paid a $1000 with the snowblower, nice 48” deck and armrests/extra seat cushions. 

And everybody's happy. I really do like the raised fuel tank door on those 100 series ACs. Nice tractor. Congratulations.

Thank you, I do know where there’s another one in the Buffalo area. My son told me about it. Real nice one with a blower and mower deck. If anybody is interested, I can get info. My # is 8607984039