Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ebailey

Legacy Hydro Issues

Ebailey

I am hoping someone here has some experience with the legacy hydro pump and can save me!  

I had a leak from the lip seal on the drive shaft for the hydro pump on my Legacy.  I replaced the seal, o ring,and bearing while I was in there.  After putting it back together the pump whines at high RPM and while turning the steering wheel.  I assumed it was possibly sucking air around one of those seals so I swapped them again after a couple mowings.  Unfortunately it still seems to be making the noise.  I did replace the fluid with fresh type F fluid and new filter.  

I am at the end of my rope with this thing since it was working fine before I swapped the leaking seal.

RAC

Whining except for cold weather operation is usually air, over pressure or starving for fluid. Filter is on the suction side, what'd you use for a filter. I'm not a factory filter fanatic, but the suggested micron rating from Sauer Danfos isn't all that low. Use something with a really fine rating?

• Like 1

Ebailey

Forgot to try and turn the filter before I mowed yesterday, but the strange thing was that it seemed to be much quieter after it warmed up.  Went back after it sat for a while and it was whining again.  This would make sense on a cold day or if I put the wrong fluid in, but it was 80 deg out yesterday.

SmilinSam
2 hours ago, Jim J said:

did you lift pin up on vent,(it is on a 90 next to the filter usually), hold up lightly with small vise grips then fill it, it will suck the fluid in 

I think you are thinking of a Soveriegn...

Ebailey
2 hours ago, Jim J said:

did you lift pin up on vent,(it is on a 90 next to the filter usually), hold up lightly with small vise grips then fill it, it will suck the fluid in 

I don’t remember any vents on this one.  I will have to look tonight.