Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy Hydro Issues

Ebailey

I am hoping someone here has some experience with the legacy hydro pump and can save me!  

I had a leak from the lip seal on the drive shaft for the hydro pump on my Legacy.  I replaced the seal, o ring,and bearing while I was in there.  After putting it back together the pump whines at high RPM and while turning the steering wheel.  I assumed it was possibly sucking air around one of those seals so I swapped them again after a couple mowings.  Unfortunately it still seems to be making the noise.  I did replace the fluid with fresh type F fluid and new filter.  

I am at the end of my rope with this thing since it was working fine before I swapped the leaking seal.

Whining except for cold weather operation is usually air, over pressure or starving for fluid. Filter is on the suction side, what'd you use for a filter. I'm not a factory filter fanatic, but the suggested micron rating from Sauer Danfos isn't all that low. Use something with a really fine rating?

• Like 1

It was actually a OEM filter.  That has crossed my head thinking it might be collapsing internally or something, so might go ahead and change it and see if that helps.

Could be dirt or something at the filter gasket letting it get a little air. Maybe just give it another 1/4 turn 

Forgot to try and turn the filter before I mowed yesterday, but the strange thing was that it seemed to be much quieter after it warmed up.  Went back after it sat for a while and it was whining again.  This would make sense on a cold day or if I put the wrong fluid in, but it was 80 deg out yesterday.

did you lift pin up on vent,(it is on a 90 next to the filter usually), hold up lightly with small vise grips then fill it, it will suck the fluid in 

2 hours ago, Jim J said:

did you lift pin up on vent,(it is on a 90 next to the filter usually), hold up lightly with small vise grips then fill it, it will suck the fluid in 

I think you are thinking of a Soveriegn...

2 hours ago, Jim J said:

I don’t remember any vents on this one.  I will have to look tonight.