Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC710

HF tools for lock rings

AC710

Hi all, I found these at Harbor Freight. They're pricey - .99 cents with a coupon - but I thought they might be good for something.

Yesterday I used them for removing and replacing those pesky lock rings on the rear axle. Best thing I've found, and with my rather low opinion of HF tools, I have to say they worked great! This pic doesn't show it but one has a twisted hook on it that is really good for getting in the grooves.

HF tools.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wwbragg

AND, - - - And you got a free tape measure, or multimeter, or something.  I have a tape measure and multimeter in every corner of my shop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

steve-wis

Their tools can be junk, you do have to watch what you buy.  I have a torque wrench I bought for like $19 several years ago. I use it maybe twice a year, mostly for rotating tires (I do torque the lug nuts).  Couldn't see over $300 for a snap on tool for that, and it works fine.  Also have a set of pry bars that are good.  I bought a battery charger that lasted only a few years, so I am staying away from electronics.  Those picks look like they would be handy!

• Like 1

AC710

I have lots of tools in my kit, screwdrivers, pliers, lock ring pliers, etc. but nothing that has worked very well for removing and installing those plain spring-wire rings. These are small enough diameter , pointed ends and hooks that can be used to pull the rings out of the groove and work around the shaft. It did take a lot of twisting and pulling and I expected the HF tools would bend or I would break the handles but they worked great.

Re: HF tools - I recently got a freebie flashlight that didn't even make it past the battery install., and sanding sheets for a detail sander that lasted a good 10 seconds....You get what you pay for, but some of their stuff is good for occasional use. I have several of their battery maintainers that work good for the price - $9 with coupons ?. If they last a few years, it's a good deal

• Like 3

wwbragg

My son-in-law busted the safety guard on my HF miter saw so I took it in to get a replacement guard.  It was two years past the warranty but they swapped it out for a new one.  Seems like they will bend over backwards to keep you happy.

• Like 1

MARK (LI)

I was in a jam one time and needed a pair of lock ring pliers...ran up to HF and bought a set...if I remember it was less than 5 dollars...came home ...lined up the little prongs into the holes and squeezed....the pliers just bent in my hand....most of their stuff is crap.....but some stuff is cheap enough to be just disposable....use it a few times and it has run its life span...I bought a mini tire changer...used it a few times with success but then  the center rod that holds tire in place bent.....I needed a torque wrench .....only 19 bucks...didn't work out of the box ( got an SK on Craigslist for $20) .I use a lot of 41/2 inch grinding discs...those are a worth while purchase...as are their air tool connections.....if you look on any of the selling sites ( craigslist, facebook market) there are a lot of those Chicago Electric welders....people try to learn to weld with them and get disappointed and get rid of them pretty much right away....you get what you pay for

Brettw

I build t a tool set 30+ years ago with Harbor Freight stuff.  Some was and still is chaep, but some of it is still working 30 years later.  Can't complain too much.  For heavy daily use, I have quality stuff, but for the one off occasional use specialty stuff?  They work just fine.

• Like 1