Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adding B&S vacuum fuel pump to 716H

jlasater

.Having a dead OEM mechanical fuel pump and not liking what the aftermarket options look like at all, I decided to add a vacuum-impulse fuel pump to my 716H with K341S engine. I've read that some people make a blockoff plate for the OEM pump and then drill/tap that for a fitting, and run a line to the vac port on the fuel pump. I've also read that some people say the line will plug with oil which seems odd if it is elevated up stream to the pump. I thought about brazing a fitting on to the valve adjustment cover instead but wasn't sure how much "pulsing" that area saw when the engine was running.

For those of you who have retrofitted one of these pumps, how did you mount it and plumb the vac line?

I thought I’ve read on here that ou can get away with gravity feed unless the tank is almost empty. 

Have never tried it, because I’ve never used a Kohler single for much time.  But I’d give it a try.

The valve cover being directly vented isn't the best choice because of a weak signal. Block off plate option fine as long as you do as you noted and locate fuel pump so vac line runs uphill. You can put a little baffle on the inside of the plate if it makes you feel any better. 

Yeah...now that you mention it I do recall the cover is vented. Looking forward to having a functioning fuel pump again.

On a Triad but you'll get the idea.  Sintered bronze filter in addition to running it uphill will all but eliminate oil in the impulse line.

Triad Fuel Pump.JPG

• Like 1