Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

716H vac attachment optimization

jlasater

I'm still waiting on the rear-mount vac attachment for my 716H but recall seeing comments about a baffle kit for the mower deck that improves picking up leaves and whatnot. Is this just a set of plates that bolt to the deck to get the outer edges closer to the ground? Something pretty easy to fabricate?

Do any of you have pictures of what they look like?

I think they are more like right angle pieces to keep the stuff in the air and not blowing out the front.

Blades ride above them, and keep the stuff moving.

If they dropped straight down I think they would act like plows.

My father in-law made me a copy of his, unfortunately his deck has a different bolt pattern on the front.  I think I still have them. Just came in for the evening, try to get a pic next time I am down below.

One of the early decks (FDT I think, 990xxx mfg#) shows them.  

My personal archive isn’t available now, so I can’t get any more info.  

Hopefully someone else will provide info before I can get the archive info next week. 

I don't believe there were baffles for the later decks like that.  Simplicity did offer a front lip kit for decks in the 1960's, but they would be very hard to find. 

For the most part, I don't think you need to worry.  Remember, you have a vacuum pulling the clippings out of the deck now.

I haven't thought about needing a baffle or lip kit with my 48" on my 1997 Sovereign with either vac system I have.  Both work well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 5:02 PM, jlasater said:

Do any of you have pictures of what they look like?

From the MFG #990501/544 manual - the leaf mulcher is MFG #990284:

image.png.d30f749f9ca3e8617fd2dd197bbda680.png

image.thumb.png.545507cd31bd50cc58d0dd46d5d38d22.png

Here  is what my father in-law made for me.  He started with Simplicity with FDT's now has 3 RBT's he  uses, and a B-10 for show.

Think the theory with the angle inward was to keep leaves in suspension in the airflow until vac can pull them out. Need to check you blade height to make sure you are not hitting metal to metal if you try to build your own.  I know my Gators would probably interfere if the fabrication would have bolted up to my deck.

IMG_1454[1].JPG

IMG_1455[1].JPG

Never used one.  The one he gave me did not bolt up to my deck.  Gauge of the angle is close to the deck.  Probably could bend the flange angle if you have access to a break.  Probably take you longer to template the hole pattern, than to bend cut out the center triangles and weld together.