Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Purchase

greenb69

I have always loved the looks and quality of these tractors. Just FYI. I own several wheelhorses a powerking, and a 1949 Simplicity model L walk behind.

I have had the 3416 for just over a week now and I am really impressed with it. It runs great and is solid including the mowing deck. I don't have any other attachments for it but would love to gather a few up.

The questions that I first have is that it seems as though this thing has better traction than most of my other tractors. Do they have a form of limited slip gear box. Secondly, I don't have any idea of what lift units or whatever goes on these. Where can I find pictures or diagrams of what is available.

Thanks for your replies and advice.

IMG_20190517_120441.jpg

Edited by greenb69
add image.
  • Like 1

Limited slip in form of what I'd call "heavy spring loaded friction clutch" in right side axle tube. Since yours is shuttle instead of hydro trans - no direct hydraulic lift option, but an electric unit might be with possible to install having the self contained motor-pump-cylinder unit. Others may have better and specific details on that. Nice 3416, I have an early 3410 with the gray under color showing through the cream/white hood. More impressed after each use is an apt description for these. They are fairly heavy at around +700# weight too. I blow snow with the tractor weighted and chained up - it works well at that. Some will probably let you know their opinions one the single cylinder Briggs motor; I find it very durable, high torque, and economical on gas. 

• Like 2

They are tough old tractors. Lots of attachments are out there. Dozer blades, tillers, and snowblowers are the most common. 

• Like 1

This type of electric actuator lift kit is a bolt-in accessory for this model. It attaches to the rockshaft under the tractor and replaces the manual handle.  You would also need the rear lift kit to use it for plows, tillers, etc. 

likt kit.jpg

• Thanks 1

Trying to get the hang of the research section.

If I am correct, I looked up the ID number on my 3416S and it says that it was made in 1973. My I'd number is 872 01448. I just want to be correct when I am asked about it. Guessing that it was manufactued in 1973 and sold as a 1974 model.

7 hours ago, greenb69 said:

Mine has the hole for the rear floodlight. Are there reproductions available?

You can get a 12 volt sealed beam tractor light at NAPA that is not a match but looks good and works great. I put them on the front of my 710, too, but yours has the  OEM pods which are way cool!

In this pic I had workout weights on the rear lift stinger, but had just gotten a screamin' deal at sears on wheel weights. Sort of a buy one/get one deal where one box had an outdated part number so they had it marked down to nearly free. I don't use the stinger weights anymore. Great snow plow!

IMG_2658.JPG

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AC710 said:

You can get a 12 volt sealed beam tractor light at NAPA that is not a match but looks good and works great. I put them on the front of my 710, too, but yours has the  OEM pods which are way cool!

In this pic I had workout weights on the rear lift stinger, but had just gotten a screamin' deal at sears on wheel weights. Sort of a buy one/get one deal where one box had an outdated part number so they had it marked down to nearly free. I don't use the stinger weights anymore. Great snow plow!

IMG_2658.JPG

Very nice.

I will check out the NAPA lights.

Looks like you had some real weight on that stinger.

Think maybe I will take mine along with my 1949 model L a walk behind a 1612 Powerking and a wheelhorse D-160 to a show next weekend.

Kids always love them.

54 minutes ago, greenb69 said:

Looks like you had some real weight on that stinger.

They look scary but are only 20 lb weights from a cheapie weight bench. The tiller and earthcavator attachments go somewhere between 100-200 lbs. The electric lift handles them no problem, The manual handle - not so much - its a two-handed armstrong affair.

Wheel weights are much preferred. They put the weight on the traction tires, not on the transmission, axles, frame etc

Just waiting for payday to become a member here. Really great site.

Can anyone lead me to where I can find the belt for the deck and from the deck to the tractor. I have found the others I need but cannot find these two.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 5:11 PM, greenb69 said:

Just waiting for payday to become a member here. Really great site.

Can anyone lead me to where I can find the belt for the deck and from the deck to the tractor. I have found the others I need but cannot find these two.

Thanks

Here is a link to the belt and blade manual. It lists the lengths and part numbers for the belts.

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/35-belt-and-blade-book-simplicity-a-c-cy2008/

You can get the belts at a Simplicity dealership or various other sources. I recommend using OEM belts. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:26 PM, Chris727 said:

Here is a link to the belt and blade manual. It lists the lengths and part numbers for the belts.

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/35-belt-and-blade-book-simplicity-a-c-cy2008/

You can get the belts at a Simplicity dealership or various other sources. I recommend using OEM belts. 

It won't allow me to download or open the file so I will try again after I become a member.

Thanks

You might need to check if PO locked the differential. I wondered why my 314 pulls like a mule until I discovered the differential had been locked. Try making a tight turn to see if the rear wheels chew up the ground a bit. I use mine for pulling heavy loads so I intend to leave it as it is for now.

30 minutes ago, deebig said:

You might need to check if PO locked the differential. I wondered why my 314 pulls like a mule until I discovered the differential had been locked. Try making a tight turn to see if the rear wheels chew up the ground a bit. I use mine for pulling heavy loads so I intend to leave it as it is for now.

Is the apparatus on the right rear axle what locks it. Did not notice it until yesterday.

IMG_20190522_091959.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 7:19 AM, greenb69 said:

it seems as though this thing has better traction than most of my other tractors. Do they have a form of limited slip gear box.

Regarding the traction - its mostly all about weight on the drive wheels. According to Tractor data website, the vintage Wheel Horse tractors weigh around 550 lbs, and about the same with the Power King. These Simplicity/Allis tractors have the full transmission between the rear wheels - that weighs around 200 lbs, plus the Bevel Gearbox and a good deal of heavy steel frame and a cast iron engine for a total of 775 lbs. That is a significant difference. The differential located off to the side as others have said is a limited slip design that helps a lot, too. I noticed in  pix of the power king tractors that they have an automotive-type differential which means that power will spin the wheel with the least traction.

I love these tractors, they are simplicity itself! Great engineering.

19 minutes ago, AC710 said:

power king tractors have an automotive-type differential which means that power will spin the wheel with the least traction.

Full-sized tractors have single-wheel brakes that can counteract this effect, but they're not usually found on garden tractors.

I did make a sharp turn with the tractor and the PO did not lock the rear-ended.Very few of wheelhorses have a ten pinion diff. With a spring type limited slip. I don't own one.

My Powerking has the dual brake pedals to control slip but it still isn't the same as the simplicity when it comes to traction.

I like some tractors unrestored but there is just enough rust on my 3416S that I want to redo it so that it stays nice for years.

Thanks for all the great information. I am sure to have many more questions.

51 minutes ago, greenb69 said:

My Powerking has the dual brake pedals to control slip but it still isn't the same as the simplicity when it comes to traction.

I looked at some data about the power kings - pretty cool tech there too. I was surprised to see the single wheel brakes. From my past experiences, single-wheel brakes can help you get out of a stuck situation but don't really help until after the wheel loses traction. That is the problem with even modern automotive traction control systems and things like cruise control - they are reactive - they can only start working when sensors say you're already slipping, slowing down or otherwise in trouble. Simplicity's limited slip system is working all the time. Even though it is a simple spring-loaded mechanical device, it keeps power to both wheels.

There are actually two types of this differential that look the same from the outside. The earlier model uses friction washers on the axle to limit slipping (like a disc clutch), and the newer version uses a bunch of springs on the pinions to make them tight to turn. I am not sure when they changed, but suspect yours is the newer type. Model numbers 990653 and Later.