Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy 25 HP Voltage Regulator

Ebailey

My legacy has been overcharging if I don’t run headlights while I am mowing.  My assumption is the regulator is bad, but I’m not sure how to get to it.  Has anyone had experience with one of these?  I believe I found the wires going in below the head and under the cover for the flywheel.  I am afraid I might have to pull the motor to get the cover off and get to the regulator.  

Of course the Kohler manual doesn’t give you any clue where it is. 

989D0DD0-5830-4A44-BC52-B79EECFD2B9E.jpeg

From the pic, looks like a Kohler Command. The voltage regulator is usually on the other side, down low at the flywheel end  if your engine has an oil cooler, it might hide it 

On a Sovereign, you can remove it without pulling anything. It a bit tight against the frame, but it’ll come out. Hopefully yours is the same. 

I will check there, like you said the cooler very likely would hide it.  I was guessing it was on this side because that was the only heavy wires I saw running up towards the stator.  

On 5/17/2019 at 12:58 PM, PhanDad said:

From the pic, looks like a Kohler Command. The voltage regulator is usually on the other side, down low at the flywheel end  if your engine has an oil cooler, it might hide it 

On a Sovereign, you can remove it without pulling anything. It a bit tight against the frame, but it’ll come out. Hopefully yours is the same. 

Thanks...It looks like you were right.  Now I just have to see if I can get it out without moving too much.