Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-16_IC

New purchase, new series.

B-16_IC

After being out of touch here I am back, sorry. :D

I have entered a new area of Simplicity ownership. Went to a consignment auction early this month and bought half the Simplicitys, out of two rows of lawn and garden only a late Sovereign and a 6516 to represent the good stuff. The sovy was a good looking tractor but I have better looking decks in the spare parts pile and a dead battery on a 650hr triad turned me off. 

But the other one seemed to be worth the chance. It's battery was dead too, hadn't been run for a while but seemed straight and well cared for. The fuel lines were somewhat sieve like as was the grommet in the bottom of the tank. I finally had time today to finish the repair and try it out. I mowed between rains, very wet grass but mowed great! Can't wait to try it when it's dry. 

I've had a T-816 in the barn for a few years but never got it going so this is my first go at this series. It came with the four bin collection system which I haven't tried to put together yet. Anyone use one of those? Is it a good system to use? 

20190518_155310.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

B-16_IC

It's well traveled as evidenced by the dealer sticker on the hood. There was a bunch of receipts for parts bought through the years ranging from its early years down south, to Burlington Iowa more recently.  There are even a couple from Eden's Ltd. 

20190518_161314.jpg

• Like 1

B10Dave

Rich; same tractor as my Allis 616. Other than having to replace a pan gasket it has been a great tractor and mows very nice. Have fun with yours.

• Like 1

TimJr

Not the same as an Allis 616.  This is a little larger and considered a light duty garden tractor.  You could put a tiller on a 6500 series.  It has 5 bolt rear wheels.  A Deutz Allis 1816 is the equivalent.

• Like 2

JohnMBerst

Bought my 6500 about 4-5 years back.  Did have to replace the original twin 16, but it is the right size for me and the 1 1/2 acre yard.  As I did have a 5200 series, and my winter tractor is a 6200, so all the decks, bloweres and like swap, so was a no brainer for me.  Tranny is still strong, and except for some maintenance, has run like a champ.  I have the two bag collector, and someday want to modify for larger capacity.  With a bit of work, parts are out there.  This size turns better for my than the 7100's, but each person is different.

I do make sure to blow it off after each cutting, and clean the fin once a year or so.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

B-16_IC

I gave it it's first real workout yesterday. MILs place needed mowed, BIL ran her new green thing and I used my 6516. Sporadic rain showers the whole time so not the prettiest job but it needed done and this spring is not conducive to a "pretty " lawn.  I was sufficiently impressed, the hydro worked great, just as strong when I quit as when I started. My only complaint is it's thirst, not as efficient as the old singles. 

Hopefully it will dry up someday and I'll try out the collection system.