Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3415H Restore

Brettw

Well, this came along about 4 or 5? years ago.  It was part of a package that was purchased at an estate sale.  I actuall bought it on E-bay as it was close enough to me to drive to get it.  It came with a bunch of parts and attachments.  Some of you have purchased some of the parts.  There was a thread somewhere on here when I got it.  Anyway, the gentleman that passed away began to restore this.  The Vickers is rebuilt, the BGB is rebuilt, with new shafts and all.  There is a NOS complete cone clutch assembly.  But some parts were missing in the transfer of ownership.  And it has sat in the garage for all these years waiting for my rear to get in gear and for a donor tractor for everything I need to complete it.  I could kick myself for selling the engine a few years back, as it was just sitting and I decided to move it when one of the guys (John Fornaro) needed a single 16.  

So, along comes the 3415H in my last haul and I finally began.  This is one of the nicest original paint and condition I have seen for this era.  I hope to make a good effort on this one and make it truly something nice.  Still a ways to go, and the paint on the rear end was an easy choice to not leave original, as the PO had already done the most of it.  More to come as it moves along.  Engien and electronics are next, reinstalling the electric lift after motor rebuild will be in the mix too.

IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 3

Well, all I need is the filter and fluids.  Not sure of the filter number for the Vickers setup so if anyone can chime in, that would be appreciated.  It's been years since I purchased one.  Oh, and one other minor item........the engine.  So I will pull the Briggs from the donor and look into it.  It had solid compression and turned over well, but had no spark.  We will see!

On 5/21/2019 at 9:20 PM, Brettw said:

Well, all I need is the filter and fluids.  Not sure of the filter number for the Vickers setup so if anyone can chime in, that would be appreciated.  It's been years since I purchased one.  Oh, and one other minor item........the engine.  So I will pull the Briggs from the donor and look into it.  It had solid compression and turned over well, but had no spark.  We will see!

I got a filter that I had for 20 years I ll check to see if there is a number on it and share a pic later today 

beautiful tractor 

enjoy 

Coming along.  The donor engine had no spark.  A replacement coil and it's up and running.  Exhaust and wiring are next. Sean Ebert is sending me a Vickers repair manual, so I should be able to fine tune everything in a bit. 

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5100.JPG

IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 1

Keep goin, you might give me some motivation to finish painting my 3415.

Got the hood and wheels painted, rewired it to put a 16 Kohler in. Just got the compression release problem fixed, now waiting on new points and condensor. ( left the key on all winter and fried the ones that were in it.)

3 hours ago, Brettw said:

Sean Ebert is sending me a Vickers repair manual

If you want a manual sooner, there are several Vickers repair manuals in the Downloads Forum. 

A "Simplicity" one in the "Repair Manual/Simplicity" section and others in the the "Repair Manual/Other" section.  

Well, it drives!  Had it out for a few laps to get the fluids settled in and the hydro bled thoroughly, and to adjust the linkages, creep, etc..  Runs great and the Vickers seems to be working exactly as it should.  The exhaust is installed, original setup including the Nelson muffler, and the electric lift is installed. Now to the final portion.  The trouble is the wiring. Something isn't correct and after trying a few different ignition switches and solenoids, I have eliminated them as the issue.  It looks like the P.O. put in a new regulator, so I am thinking he has something hooked up wrong.  It will not do anything when trying to start it.  Normally with these, if I recall correctly, when you turn the switch to the on position the Gen light should light up.  This does not.  I did check the nanny's and they all tested out with a continuity tester. So I will be looking closely at the wiring diagram and starting from scratch.  

IMG_5105.JPG

• Like 2

Lookn great Brett.

I am not a fan of electrical gremlins myself. ..not my strong point.

38 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

I am not a fan of electrical gremlins myself. ..not my strong point.

Well, I can honestly say I am learning.  And when a PO messes with wiring, it can be a nightmare.  After a few hours of trying to track down the issues, verifying that I was using the proper switch (I was), it turns out there were multiple issues.  One:  There is the harness that plugs into the ignition switch.  At some point the location of the wires on the harness going to the ignition switch were relocated (this was verified when I had to clean out the backside of the harness loaded with some sort of sealant to hold the wires in place; in the wrong location)  So it was wired wrong right at the source, start position connection was actually the ground to kill, and ground to kill was power supply (it took a bit of time to discern this).  Next, the power lead from the ignition switch was set up wrong along with the lead to the Gen light.  And finally (not the PO's fault but probably why he tried every other wiring combination) the wire in the loop from the interlocks to the solenoid does not have continuity, it's broken somewhere.  No wonder this thing wouldn't even think about starting.  

Anyway, I think I may have located and exterminated all of the gremlins.  We shall see, but boy, what a headache.  

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, the broken wire was in the loop that is auxiliary for an optional front PTO.  If I had to guess I would say it got caught at one time in the steering gears.  I will need a battery, and the Gen light stays on, so I will now have to chase through the charging circuit or, try to verify the SG is G-ing.   It runs, but not well, so I will have to look at ignition and carburetor.  But, the neighbor is out of town and asked me to keep an eye on his lawn.  The poor soul uses a Deere.  I told him his lawn could use a treat instead of a treatment.  Popped my deck on and..........

IMG_5134.JPG

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

Wish my neighbors lawn looked like that!

His does.  Once a year when he goes on vacation. &:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That looks fantastic!  I'm always amazed every time I mow with my beat-up looking 7117 and even more beat up looking deck, and my yard always turns out so pretty.  What can a "new" mower do?

22 hours ago, Snojetter said:

What can a "new" mower do?

Probably look worse - not many Simplicity type mowers sold around here anymore.   

It's amazing to me how deck design has a big bearing on cut quality.  Just because something is newer does not mean cut is necessarily any better. Some of the cheapest shallow  decks (4200 series ) cut incredible. 

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Snojetter
    • JAV13037
    • andrew68
    • maxwood
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts