Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers filter

Brettw

Hi all.  As it has been a while since I last had a Vickers, I cannot recall the filter number for the setup on a 3415 reservoir.  And, the last time I needed one, was to change the fluid and filter.  In this case I am starting to fill from scratch as I am in the middle of a restoration.  I know the transaxle will take the 90 weight gear oil, but does anyone have the information as to how to properly fill and bleed the pump and cooler, and how much / what type of fluid they take, and of course, the filter info?   Thanks in advance.

IMG_5079.JPG

Original fluid was red Dexron ATF.  You fill the reservoir up the the side plug, if I remember correctly, it’s about 3/4 up the side.  

The filter has an equivalent WIX number, but that info isn available to me ATM.  

As to bleeding, maybe there’s something in the Vickers tech manuals or Allis Homelite operators manuals that are in the download forum.   I fill them, then with the rear end raised, I run the tractor forward/reverse until the reservoir level remains constant.  

Bill,  Thanks for the links.  But I have to ask, am I searching wrong?  The reason I ended up posting, is I searched "Vickers filter" and had no results.  Maybe I am not using the search function correctly?

Brett, did you just type in the box & hit search or did you select the dropdown menu for "this forum" or "advanced search" ?

• Like 1

As @Chris727 said, you need to do more than just type in the search box.  If that’s all you do, you only search the post that you’re on.  

If you use “advanced search”, you can also and a member’s ID to the search criteria.  I do the combo a lot to find only posts.  

29 minutes ago, Brettw said:

I will find the filter # yet!

The filter numbers are in the first post.  

There are two WIX numbers that have been used.  I thought you’d want to read the dialogue so I didn’t post them here.

There’s also a NAPA number mentioned. 

I didn't see this in the links.  To purge the air out  of the Vickers... First put the transaxle in in free wheel, fill the reservoir up to the level plug leave the reservoir open to observe the air bubbles, remove the spark plug and rotate the engine with the starter (don't allow the engine to start).  Work the hydro lever slowly in both directions until no more bubbles are coming through.

Edited by MikeES