Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New shoes on the DA 1920

Hick

Couple years ago a fellow was selling a JD lawn tractor.  I didn't buy the tractor (shocked my wife!) but I did buy a pair of ag bar tires and wheel weights from him. I wanted the bar tires for the DA, but wasn't sure which tractor to put the weights on.

When I got the DA a few years ago, the rear tires were so badly weather checked they would not hold air. I put tubes in them, and have been using it ever since.  But the turf tires just spin out when I needed traction for pulling something. So today I put the ag bars on the DA.
The tubes were stuck to the rusty rims, so I had to resort to some unconventional tools for removal: Bolt cutter to cut the bead and utility knife to cut the sidewall out so I had more room to fight the tube. 
20190524_103447.thumb.jpg.d4a44f83fec8c2ab7011f822a676a536.jpg

Finally got them on (while also pulling the brake drums and adjusting the brakes). Then added the weights. I was going to cut the bolts off, but decided to leave them long because it makes them easier to install. I'll get shorter bolts  and put them in the other holes, then pull these out.
Yes, I know; wrong color! ;)

20190524_113812.jpg.c66102937c438b55ce685b1b4013e3a6.jpg

Edited by Hick
  • Like 2

Look good!  But I will bet those bolts will elicit bad language and get swapped out immediately after you catch your ankle on one of them.  I know that's how I go about things anyway.........

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:46 PM, Hick said:

I got the new bolts, I'll be changing them out when I get back home.

AND . . . . 

The bolts were 1" too long! So back to town! 
Got them changed over. 

• Like 1

Pic of your Deutz with the mounting bolts sticking far out of the weights, made me think of mounting duals that way with the weight in the middle acting as a spacer between the rims. Been muddy as heck by my place this year. Everything getting stuck in the mud.

5 hours ago, Rfp55 said:

Pic of your Deutz with the mounting bolts sticking far out of the weights, made me think of mounting duals that way with the weight in the middle acting as a spacer between the rims. Been muddy as heck by my place this year. Everything getting stuck in the mud.

Heck, with the long bolts sticking out, that would do it!!! I'd use four, though.
I have plans to put duals on my 210 Deere with the dozer blade. Have the wheels, not the tires.  Right now I have the single bar tires on the rear. I put both up on one side just to see what it would look like:

5cf319f36e4ee_Tires2.jpg.c776f1c44c71bbda6205eadf164eaf8f.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, Hick said:

Heck, with the long bolts sticking out, that would do it!!! I'd use four, though.
I have plans to put duals on my 210 Deere with the dozer blade. Have the wheels, not the tires.  Right now I have the single bar tires on the rear. I put both up on one side just to see what it would look like:

5cf319f36e4ee_Tires2.jpg.c776f1c44c71bbda6205eadf164eaf8f.jpg

Hooo Boy... That gets a BIG tool time Tim Taylor grunt    arrr ARR   AAARRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Harry

• Haha 2

I'd like to put tri-ribs on the front for more aggressive steering, but then I priced them . . . 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 11:08 PM, Hick said:

I'd like to put tri-ribs on the front for more aggressive steering, but then I priced them . . . 

4.80 x 8 's about $25 most places unless they went up