Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MrSteele

Brand new to me, and not too bad looking

MrSteele

The Briggs Engine is a 3.5, made on March 24, 1974. Likely, the machine is the same year. It still has a set of dry rotted Yazoo Master Mower tires, that are now on air. Not a bad find for $50. I removed the cover to clean out the cooling fins. It has enough compression to run. I may pull the head to lap the valves just in case. The belt cover is usually the first thing to go on these mowers. I have purchased the belt covers alone for a couple of my mowers. Next is the covers over the self propel mechanism. This mower must have sat in someone's garage for a long time

5ceddf9545311_YazooMower.thumb.jpg.3e0663517f7ccb761896b60d41b4eb1c.jpg5ceddf97515fa_YazooSerial.thumb.jpg.68508de5cc8e6ede0f3fe2872baa6152.jpg

• Like 3

MrSteele

Well, if he was closer, I'd give you a run for the money. Is a bit later model than all of mine, but. With proper care, it will last yuour grandson til he gets tired of using it. The self propel system is a bit hard on the tires. Other than that, go for it

MrSteele

A few years before Yazoo went out of the world, they succumbed to the market..bigger, better, faster, cheaper and changed from heavy duty metal spoked wheels to a so-called heavy duty plastic wheel with a tire/tube, Later, they went to a semi-pneumatic solid tire. The tire/tube was actually a weak point, but made the machine easier to push than the solid tire. By then, though, most all their mowers were self propelled. When replacing spokes on some of the heavy duty wheels, you go to the store and buy smooth rod, and make your own spokes, or, if enough are left in the wheel, move them until you have enough spokes to get a stable, round wheel.The threaded ends are usually still hanging in the rim. Or, you find wheels at flea markets and store for later use.

Many owners used the Yazoo as a walk-behind bush hog, abusing the heck out of them cutting in places that were too small to access with large equipment. I was one of them. The 22" was capable of cutting trees up to about 1 1/2" diameter, heavy briers, grass as tall as the operator or sometimes taller.. Sticks and stones did not hurt the machine, only dulled the blade. When I got the 18" I assumed it would do similar, and used it that way for years, only cutting smaller underbrush, though. Heck, it only had a 3 1/2 HP engine, the 22" had a 5 HP Clinton. The tires being a weak point, was because when cutting in this manner, thorns usually found their way through the tire and into the tube. I have a fix for that. Cut the bead out of another tire and insert it into the Yazoo tire, then the tube is isolated inside 2 tires, rarely does a brier make it that far, and you still have a pneumatic tire for ease of use.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Ronald Hribar
    • fishnwiz
    • lugnard
    • a_sannine
    • FSACB102018
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

• F.U.N.

F.U.N.  »  sandyhillbill

Dear Sandhillbill
      Can you please copy me on this data, for Sun Star parts list.
      :
      September 12, 2004 Mike I sent you a PM and have all the mfgs. available for the tiller/hitch/pto/liftgroup if you need me to send them to you. Let me know. Thanks, F.U.N.    
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Club banners are available  for members use during show season https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/57849-simpletractors-club-banners-available/

· 0 replies
  • Adverts