Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wilbur643

Al Eden and Kohler?

Wilbur643

Does anybody remember a post by Al about the longevity of the kohler commands. If I remember he said that  back in the 2000's they were used to run natural gas well pumps out in West Texas and they ran on natural gas and synthetic oil. He said there was a crew that traveled each week to do the maintenance on them, I think he said some of them had well over 10,000 hrs on them. Anybody remember or did I dream this?  I think he was pointing out how much better a cleaner fuel was on an engine.

LMichaels

While I did not read it I can sure understand it. Running on gaseous fuel (LP, NG, CNG, H, what have you) is so much easier on the engine. There is no lube dilution, little no no carbon, the engine is more like an air compressor than a combustion device. I have spoken to mechanics that work on heavy equipment i.e. buses, tractors, heavy trucks and such and the engines stay very clean

gwiseman
2 hours ago, Wilbur643 said:

Does anybody remember a post by Al about the longevity of the kohler commands. If I remember he said that  back in the 2000's they were used to run natural gas well pumps out in West Texas and they ran on natural gas and synthetic oil. He said there was a crew that traveled each week to do the maintenance on them, I think he said some of them had well over 10,000 hrs on them. Anybody remember or did I dream this?  I think he was pointing out how much better a cleaner fuel was on an engine.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/23301-ohv-engines/?tab=comments#comment-306128

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MARK (LI)

This is pretty interesting...when I was in the Army in the '70s I had a Sergeant who was from West Virginia  and he told us that where he came from everyone had free natural gas...right out of the ground right on their property...as time passed I saw real estate ads for houses in West Virginia that said there was free natural gas...so I thought that it would be feasible for people there ot have a generator and run everything off the natural gas, but figured that the engine maintenance and life would make it not worth while...after reading this I am back on track wondering why not....and I imagine that areas other than West Virginia would have this natural gas available also