Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rsampson1120

Broodmoor 728 No spark

rsampson1120

I recently inherited a 728 that was taken apart due to the tank rusting. I cleaned up the fuel situation, coated the tank, new lines, cleaned carb etc. After putting it back together I have no spark. I pulled the flywheel to find no points or anything between the motor and flywheel. I know it ran before the fuel problem. I replaced the coil and plug, but still nothing. From what I read if I don't connect the two wires to anything and spin the motor I should be getting spark. I have an armature gap of 0.010 and I sand papered the flywheel. What am I missing?

TimJr

If you don't have points, it is either a later engine with Magnetron electronic ignition, or someone converted it to Magnetron, which is a simple bolt on, unless the coil was put on upside down.  

What 2 wires are you talking about?  Any Briggs like that only has 1 ground wire for the ignition.  It is true that if you unhook the kill wire, if the flywheel spins at the required speed, it will make spark.  Make sure the kill wire isn't grounded out on the engine itself somewhere.  DO NOT put any power to a Briggs coil/magneto - it will ruin it.  

Sanding a flywheel isn't really necessary - surface rust does not affect the magnetism.  The only thing it would affect slightly is your air gap measurement if you are resetting it.

• Like 1