Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar Hydro Oil change

I need to change the hydro fluid and filter in my Sunstar.  Can I drain the hydro fluid by removing the plug shown in the attached photo?  The operators manual says to drain by loosening the hose that feeds the pump.  Removing the plug seems easier and simpler.

Also, I saw a discussion topic from October/November 2018 regarding Universal Trans / hydraulic  fluid and Type F transmission fluid.  The operators manual says to refill with Type F tranny fluid and I saw posts from others who indicate they refill with Universal Trans / hydraulic  fluid.  

Can Universal Trans/hydraulic fluid be used or should I stick to Type F tranny fluid?

Thanks in advance for help with these questions. 

Hydraulic plug.jpg

I have 2 sun stars that I have changed the hydrostatic fluid and filter on. I removed the drain plug on both for draining and I used type F trans fluid in both of them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• dhoadley
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts