Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

716h free wheel relief valves stuck

johnkc

the free wheel relief valves are stuck in the down/freewheel position , can these be removed and cleaned up without any parts jumping out when i remove them ???thank you very much for any assistance,john

Spray with penatrateing oil. Let set and then work them up and down. When moveing free spray with white grease. This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Yes, they just screw out. Nothing will fall out. Just take extreme care not to get any dirt inside the pump and clean the valves off real good before putting them back in. Thats assuming they can be freed up. Out of a dozen stuck valves I have had 2 that could not be fixed. Like UCD said, try and work them back and forth pushing form the underside and from the top. most of the time they work free rather easily. SmilinSam

Once they are out find a drill the exact size of the bottom hole. Place the shank upward in a vise with maybe an inch or less sticking out and push the valve down onto it, forcing the ball upward. Work back and forth with light lube until moves freely (hopefully) :)

To add to Sams, reply there is a recess around the valves that WILL be full of dirt. Get this area very clean before unscrewing the valves. If not this dirt will fall into the hydro when you pull the valves. Good Luck! Mike S.

John, had the very same problem with the same hydro (7012) did almost exactly what sam recommended. there is a lot of dirt hanging around that area though clean it up good. I had a small amount of surface rust on the outside i gently took off with a fine wire brush. They move nicely now. If your new here, welcome aboard you wont find better folks on the net. Dougm

I had one stuck. I used a piece of welding rod (softer than drill bit) and had to peck lightly with a hammer. Kept apraying with WD40 until it moved freely, cleaned up outside, and is working good. Rod H.