Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starting to re-assemble

jsciutto

Finally starting to put it together.  For a while it seemed like one step forward, two steps backwards.  I am amazed by the engineering that went into these tractors.  Very well designed and easy to work on.  I am trying a graphite coating on the steering gears.  I had a spray can and figured "why not".  It took forever to get all the old grease out of them.  There is definitely a unique odor to old grease.  

I'm glad I found this group.  Great deal of information that is freely passed around.  Thanks everyone for sharing.

steering rebuild.jpg

Steering installed.jpg

rear end 3.jpg

Rear end 2.jpg

Rear end 1.jpg

• Like 4

Too nice...your not going to want to get her dirty.sm03

All kidding aside. ..nice looking tractor.

Welcome to the club...bunch of great guys and one goat :). Make yourself at home and feel free to jump right in. 

We'll leave the light on for ya.:)

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  In looking at the re-build article, I may be missing a spacer/bushing.  I was going to try and add the thrust bearings.  I may need to pull it out and re-assess it.  Back to one step forward.....   I was looking as some of the photos I took before and had forgotten how dirty it was when I started.

Steering before.jpg

Rear end start.jpg

• Like 1