Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

irvtoms

testing motor out of tractor

irvtoms

i pulled my original vanguard 18 hp out of my tractor with 350 hrs on it

back in 2007 because it started shutting off by itself, after replacing everything electrical and

fuel wise[. coils, pump regulator, switches, wirng harnesses, etc, etc, and ]also having dealer look at it,. i threw

a brand new motor .ran ever since. the only thing nobody even knew or talked about was the carb shutoff

solenoid. want to try this motor again with revamped carb mod. ive got it on a board setup to run . is there any way

to start and run it outside the tractor?what do i need to wire up and how.? i do have an extra ignition switch

and can rig up fuel , but am electrically challenged. any help appreciated. thanks--irv

Edited by irvtoms
more info

PhanDad

I'm assuming your tractor is a Sovereign and the engine is OEM - so this diagram shows the engine harness connections (From Al with my added "engine plug end view" sketch):

TractorPlugCommand2.thumb.jpg.3b6c79855be86707079996df75642bf9.jpg

First hook the main leads from the battery to the engine:  +12V to the starter solenoid (it's on top of the starter) and the negative terminal to a good engine ground (one of the bolts holding the engine to the board).  

Then, with a jumper wire, apply +12V to the wiring harness connector that's attached to the blue and red wires (the "start" signal).  The starter solenoid will engage and the engine should turn over and run.  Disconnect the jumper wire when the engine starts (don't crank too long and burn the starter out if the engine doesn't run).  

Following the above will provide start up power to the carb fuel solenoid.  (By applying +12V to the wiring harness connector, power will be provided to the fuel solenoid before the engine starts (blue wire).  When the tractor is running, the red wire provides power -the red wire is connected to the engine voltage regulator).  

If you want to test just the fuel solenoid, only hook up the ground wire from the battery.  Then touch the same connector (blue and red wires) with +12V.  You should hear the fuel solenoid click (the starter solenoid will also click, but the engine won't crank because the main +12V lead isn't connected).  You can also usually feel the fuel solenoid engage if you don't hear it click.  

I don't understand exactly what "want to try this motor again with revamped carb mod" means.  Is the carb fuel solenoid still installed?  A new one installed?  Wired separately?  Depending on exactly what was done, more than the above might need to be wired.  

• Thanks 1

irvtoms

oops , shoulda listed it . a 2000 landlord dlx with an 18 hp vanguard v twin. i have trimmed the solenoid plunger to see if this was the problem. maybe an intermittent short !

guess i should also proofread b4 i post these things.. i really do spell better[type w/2 fingers]

Edited by irvtoms

SmilinSam
1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

I'm assuming your tractor is a Sovereign and the engine is OEM -

He said it was a vanguard Bill, so I'm assuming its a vertical from a Landlord like in his picture

irvtoms

sorry about the confusion i took the solenoid out of the equation.i tried testing it

by applying 12 volts to the wire and grounding the body. didnt do anything. did it off the ignition switch.

had a brand new one laying here and it didnt move the pin either. maybe im doing it wrong.

i know i had 12 volts going thru cause the probe light was on.

Edited by irvtoms

PhanDad
16 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

He said it was a vanguard Bill, so I'm assuming its a vertical from a Landlord like in his picture

Opps, I have to read better.  

I'll blame it on CRS.

Everything I wrote is not applicable.