Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign 3112v transacle

WVtractor

New to the forum. Recent picked up a simplicity sovereign 3112v. Came with a 48" deck, wheel weights, and chains. Previous owner had not moved it in atleast 7 years. I wheeled it out of his shed on my trailer and brought it home. Drained the oil and gas and it fired right up. Im having some issues with the tram at the moment. But i want to drain the old gear oil out of the transaxle and replace it with new. So is there an easy way to drain it and what is the recommended lubricant. Once i get thay squared away ill tackle the tram issues.

I might as well add a few years ago i bought a sovereign 3012H, well after alot of trouble shooting and fooling around i tore the rear end apart to discover the transaxle was destroyed so i have alot of spare parts, plough, cultivator, snow blower, a snow plow and a 48 mower deck. I literally bought it off the back of a truck headed to take it in for scrap.

So thanks for any help, im sure ill have alot more questions

John

I found this in the manual for the 3012 which is the predecessor to the 3112 --- - - -should be the same.

3012.png

• Like 1

I can't remember where the filler hole plug is, but it's NOT at the top. Father in law a B210 with same transaxle. It was leaking so I checked the level. The whole transaxle was FULL. I drained it to the proper level and no more leaks. I got a chuckle out of it.

Thanks for the replys. I really appreciate it. Im still having a hard time navagating the site.. where can i find diagrams like that? Or were they not on simpletractors.com?

Edited by WVtractor

1 hour ago, WVtractor said:

Thanks for the replys. I really appreciate it. Im still having a hard time navagating the site.. where can i find diagrams like that? Or were they not on simpletractors.com?

Those diagrams are from the operators manual.  

Most likely, both operators and parts manuals are available for you tractor at the Simplicity web site.  See the second post at the top of this forum for info.  You need the MFG# or your tractor.  It should be on a sticker somewhere on the tractor.  Based on this list:

https://simpletractors.com/research/cross-reference/simplicity-to-ac/s_ac_pg1/

The MFG# of your tractor is 990570 or 990571. 

12 hours ago, WVtractor said:

This is the tractor. As i was headed home

20190525_153301.jpg

How does a tractor look like that and still have original rubber on the foot rests and wheels, and an original seat? Neither one of my 3112Vs have that and they are both better looking.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:51 PM, kwt said:

How does a tractor look like that and still have original rubber on the foot rests and wheels, and an original seat? Neither one of my 3112Vs have that and they are both better 

Well i got the transaxle fulled with 80 90 gear oil. Gonna find a deive belt and see if that fixs the tram problem

• 3 weeks later...

Well not to sound like a dummy but can some explain the varible speed drive to me. The sticker says not to move it if the clutch is in or the motor is off. Is it supposed to be like a shuttle? 

The variable speed works by spreading two pulley's apart, thus dragging the belt in closer to the center. If I recall correctly, its the same sort of system my B112 uses. Its an interesting setup which I've heard people stray away from as there can be some issues down the road. As for operating it, yes, it cannot be adjusted unless its spinning either in neutral or in gear and rolling. The Vari speed uses the spinning pulley to move the belt in and out without too much friction. The belt itself is still around on partstree (again, if its the same transmission) Good transmissions as you don't have to shift from high to low and can control ground speed on the fly while moving. Hope this helps!

Nick

The variable is operated varying the ratio of the pulleys.  If you are idling in neutral, you can raise the seat (always use caution when running with the seat up, there are moving parts) and move the variable lever back and forth.  This is the easiest way to explain how it works.  There are fairly detailed adjustment instructions, but when working correctly they are very nice.  It is the "poor man's" hydro sort of, as you can adjust your ground speed in any of the gears or directions without changing gears or clutching.

• 2 weeks later...