Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T-10 differential

Homelite-t10

Homelite-t10

I’m struggling trying to figure out how my T-10 differential works.  I’ve only had the tractor a few months and I haven’t used it as much as I would like to.  I was pulling some saplings with it using a combo of tractor power and a home made linear actuator rear lift and the rear tires stayed locked all the time.  As I used it more I noticed it tends to plow through turns and leaves rear tire marks when I turn in my garage.  I can’t imagine a tractor that was made to mow came with a locked differential.  Was this a modification made by a previous owner or is there a lever somewhere to unlock it?  Any help is much appreciated! 

7D68D95F-7635-4B32-991D-2122846DCE80.jpeg

4ACE5986-E7A8-4C4B-BD2C-AA448CAEC091.jpeg

D2CCAB05-8090-4F43-8ACA-9DA34547170B.jpeg

It's not meant to be locked. You could have broken parts in the diff or someone could have locked it in the past. One of mine was locked until it came apart internally. I ended up welding it. If you don't want it locked, you'll have to disassemble the diff on the right axle to find out what's up.

• 2 weeks later...
OrangeMetalGuy

IIRC there is a geared shaft that if installed backwards, will do this.  Probably just that.  It's been 10 years since I had mine opened up so I can't recall the exact part but just make sure everything is per the manual.

Edited by OrangeMetalGuy