Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Sovereign Identification and questions

Montgomery

I recently purchased a Sovereign in  pretty good shape. I did not get any manuals with the unit so I am trying to identify they year motor etc... I also have a question about the rear mount for a tiller. I seem to be missing a few items. Can you guys shed some light on my issues?  I really appreciate it.

Most likely, both operators and parts manuals are available for you tractor at the Simplicity web site.  See the second post at the top of this forum for info.  You need the MFG# or your tractor.  It should be on a sticker somewhere on the tractor.  

Simplicity made Sovereigns for about 40 years, so I picture would help identify your's if you can't find the sticker with the MFG#. 

As to a rear lift, see this recent post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/62782-7100-series-lift-kit-to-7000-series-tractor/

Welcome to the Club.  

I looked for a tag on the frame and didn't see one also the motor did not have a tag either.  Any advice on identification? I have attached a photo of the tractor. Are there any other area to look at numbers to determine year etc...?

IMG_0654.jpg

You have one of the latest Sovereign's built, that's the good news.  The potential bad news is it has the Kohler Triad engine; more on that in a bit.

I believe the nameplate sticker should be above the left front wheel, it can be seen in this pic of a Sovereign a little older than yours (it has the Kohler Command engine):

IMG_9403.thumb.JPG.3440befce8962c013b97648eb9078539.JPG

There aren't too many Triad powered Sovereign MFG#s.  The non-power steering #s are:  1692945 and 1693409.  Based on the seat, I believe it is a 1693409.  There might be other numbers.

As to the engine, the Triad had issues and many self destructed.  Some were replaced under warranty by Simplicity.  If mods were done early in their life, the Triad engines are reported to be great, but parts are hard to come by.  

For a more complete discussion of the Triad, see this recent post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/62768-never-used-simplicity-sovereign-hydro/

Hopefully your Triad has many more years of life.  

• Thanks 1

I'm one of the rare birds who has managed to keep an infamous 'Triad' running for the 20+ years I've owned my tractor. Bought new, back in 1998. The motor in yours is a 'Command', and not a 'Triad'. Your second picture shows the valve cover, which has "OHV" stamped on it. As well, the oil filter is located towards the PTO end of the engine. The 'Triad' has the filter towards the fan shroud end, and has no identifiers on the valve covers. In the end should be good news for you as the 'Command' series Kohler has the reputation for being an excellent engine.

SimpleMan, Look again at Montgomery's tractor picture. Your post above is  referring to PhanDad's picture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill725 said:

SimpleMan, Look again at Montgomery's tractor picture. Your post above is  referring to PhanDad's picture.

Whoops. Was scrolling too fast, looking too slow. Sorry bout that, and yes, it is a Triad.

Edited by SimpleMan
Acknowledgement of Bill725's observations.