Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

stuck splined deck pulley

Tarheel

Picked up a 7117 with a 48 inch deck late last summer. After a round or 3 looking to find a short (PO had bypassed the breaker and installed an inline fuse) Unpluged the harness at the rectifier and no more blown fuses but I've yet to pull the engine and see what's messed up inside.

Mowing a couple of weeks ago and noticed it was only mowing with the center blade. Covers still on the deck so had to load up and take it home. When I pulled it down, the belt was off but not broken. Just chewed up on one side. Idler pulley bracket was bent and rusted. Cleaned that up and got it straight but there was some noise in the spindle bearings so I started to remove the center first. But the pulley won't come off the shaft. I have hammered till the bolt is ruined. I let it set a couple of days soaking in WD-40 and no change.

No good way to clamp and hold in a vise, can't use a puller without ruining the pulley (to the tune of well over 100 bucks and not in stock where I checked) I don't like the thoughts of using heat unless I have to. Even thought of welding a plate or washer over the top and installing a grease zerk to see if I could move it that way. Soaking in acid to try and break the rust ( would have worked much better before the oil) .

What do you guys do to free one like this ? Thanks

Had same issue and after bending the pulley after heat / hammer/oil ect....ended up pulling the complete arbor by pulling off the blade and unbolting the ring around the arbor. Replacement arbors do come up used on Craigslist and Ebay or ask through the classifieds on this site.

Good luck.

31 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

Had same issue and after bending the pulley after heat / hammer/oil ect....ended up pulling the complete arbor by pulling off the blade and unbolting the ring around the arbor. Replacement arbors do come up used on Craigslist and Ebay or ask through the classifieds on this site.

Good luck.

Pull the arbor and I bet you can get the pulley off with a great big press.

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

small press

Like this??

6 ton A-Frame Bench Shop Press $80 at HF.  Father's day is this Sunday - - - - "Oh happy day"

image_25165.jpg

Let me see if I understand - - - - You cant remove the spindle without removing the pulley and the pulley is rusted on the spindle shaft.  So the press shown above is not going to work- - - too small.  

You need to support the pulley with angle iron (think bed frames) AT THE PULLEY'S HUB.  Hold the pulley high enough so that the deck is a couple of inches off the floor. Now you have a pile of 4x4 blocks fore and aft of the deck with two pieces of angle iron across them, holding the deck off of the floor by the center of the pulley.  Next,  follow the heating procedure in the video link above.  Take care not to direct the heat to the shaft but to the pulley's hub.  Using a flat punch, start tapping on the shaft.  Reheat the hub as needed and keep tapping on the center shaft.  Remember that song by the Isley Brothers, Shout???   (Man do I hat that stupid song)  Keep tapping while you sing, "A little bit harder now,  A little bit harder now.

"PS:  Make sure there is no rolled pin or something holding it on before you do anything.

Edited by wwbragg
PS

1 hour ago, wwbragg said:

Like this??

6 ton A-Frame Bench Shop Press $80 at HF.  Father's day is this Sunday - - - - "Oh happy day"

image_25165.jpg

This one is a little better. More room for longer items. I looked all 3 they offer over a couple months ago and bought this one..the 12 ton. The largest one was overkill for my needs. All three are better than the antique crank type press I was using....

33497_W3.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

This one is a little better.

I agree.  I usually get HF gift cards for father's day.  Let's see how we do this year.

I don't own a press. I've used a couple. I don't want a press as I don't want a tool that big and used so seldom to be taking up room. If I need something pressed on or off I just go to one of my local independent auto repair shops and have them do it. I flip em $20 and everyone's happy.

I wouldn't have a press without also owning 1 or 2 bearing separators. They make life @ a press so much nicer.

Press is one of those tools that when you need it, it's great to have one.

Wish I had the room but not a high priority in my book.JMO

8 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Press is one of those tools . . .

Yeah - - -we'd all like to have a full-service shop with every tool imaginable.  I live about 15 miles from such a facility and as @kwt describes, flip them a $20  every now and then.

Not only do they have the tools, but they have people who actually know how to use them proficiently.

Edited by wwbragg
expand
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Press is one of those tools that when you need it, it's great to have one

Greenerd #3R with cast iron stand.

All I've ever needed.  Smaller yet very similar to the one @plastikosmd has.

Shopping stealthily for a decent arbor press with at least a 6" throat, and over a foot of vertical travel. Had one in another building, not at home, but scrap cast iron prices went up several years ago...and the meth heads found it, along with a lot of old engines, lawn mower and automobile.

As for penetrants? I have been using Gibbs Brand for years, have tried many others. I agree with Mr Bragg..WD 40 is for those who wish they had a decent penetrating oil, buying it is a waste of money

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MrSteele said:

and the meth heads found it

Grrrr. I had something similar happen to me. A bunch of expensive oil field type tools that are almost never used. Went out back went to get one a year later, all gone. 50 to 300 lb chunks of short steel.

• Sad 1

Just blows me away how people feel they can just "help themselves " to anything of value even if trespassing to get at it just so they can catch a Buzz.  GET A JOB LOSERS.

• Like 1

I just went with a hot wrench. I didn't allow the steel to heat beyond blue. Held with a large set of Channel loc's and hit it solid a few times with the 3 pound hammer and it slid right off.

Thanks for all the input. These pulleys are thin and I didn't believe they would stand a press.

• Like 3