Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil seal identification issue for 7116

theniteowl

My 7116 has a leaking front oil seal.  Engine is 326437-0252-01

When I look up parts for the engine it lists two oil seals, 

20  691948 Seal  Oil (PTO Side)

20A  291675 Seal  Oil (PTO Side)

The parts are not shown in an exploded view indicating where they go so I am not certain if this indicates that one side of the engine uses part 20 and the other side 20A or if a variation in engine models calls for part 20 on both sides and another variation calls for 20A on both sides.
If it is one of each, how do I know which one is the front PTO and which the rear?  I do not want to order both, I do not plan on pulling the engine to replace the rear seal as it does not appear to be leaking but the front is literally spraying oil.

Can anyone provide any clarity on the meaning of the 20 vs 20A in the parts list?

• 2 months later...

This is a page from the Briggs March 2002 Model 326400 parts manual:

5d61c2cebf069_32640016hppartslist02Mar_Pg4Top.JPG.3478a86600f7a0f5abae3c27cc6e4b47.JPG

I believe the way you read the parts you need is you use the first listed part number unless your engine's type number (0252-01) is listed.  Since your type number isn't listed in the "571A" listing, you should use the "571" listing.  The "571" parts dwg indicates you should use seal part #20 = 691948.  

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.  

It's also interesting that I didn't see any reference to the seal you'd use on the flywheel end of the engine in the manual.  I'm sure it must be there somewhere.  

• Like 1