Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity tractor

Charlieson

I found a simplicity tractor. Seems to be on of the smaller ones. It has no engine, but rearend and metal seem to be in good shape. All the model decals are off of her. How can I tell what model the tractor is so I can get a motor for her? I think I am going to add it to my collection. ddh

Might try clicking on the SimpletrACtor box in the upper right hand corner and looking through the gallery and all the 'whats new' info for Simplicity and AC, most likely you'll find something that looks close, or post a pic on here so we can see what you got..MPH

Use my philosophy. Only two kinds of garden tractor engines, horizontal and vertical. If it matches the type, then with perserverence you can make it work. My 61 Wards tractor just got a 14 Hp Kohler yesterday. A little more that the original 7.25 Hp. Rod H.

The engine bolted directly to the chassis. I had to raise the hood and move the grille forward slightly because of the larger size of the engine. I did it with adapter plates. I bolted the plate to the grille, then attached plate to chassis. Just had to set grille in place with hood in place and measure. I also raised the rear of the hood two inches with another adapter plate to make the hood level. My grille was moved forward about four inches and raised two inches. Part of the reason for raising the hood is that the B/S engine had a low mounted updraft carb, while the Kohler has a side draft. I needed to raise the fuel tank about two inches. I got tired of running out of gas with two inches of fuel in the tank. You will have to adapt the driveshaft. I used longer bolts with tubing over them. Works fine. Do the driveshaft fitting after engine is in place. Throttle cable, choke cable, and exhaust will have to be fitted. Since I have had this tractor, I have had a 10 Hp B/S, a 12 Hp Kohler from a Cub Cadet (had to make new engine mounts, and driveshaft adapter), and now the 14 Hp Kohler from a piece of golf course equipment. None of the engine swaps are hard, once you figure out what is needed. If you have any further questions get in touch with me at Hubbaco@1bigred.com and I will try to walk you through it. Rod H.