Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ONANs Suck!

lboy1971

About 10 years ago we had a small Case skidloader with an 18HP Onan. When we sold it we were glad to be rid of it. After owning several powermax size tractors with the onans I now remember why we got rid of that Case. They have good power when they run, WHEN they run that is. lol

LLOYD!, Lloyd!, lloyd, What's the problem? Easy Boy! No pun intended. Email me. What are the symtoms buddy? Paul

Having a bad day Lloyd? Try my week out. I have 7 tractors that generally run, and had only one that did not need work to mow with as of this week, till yesterday. My "good" tractor decided to break the throttle cable, so now I don't have anything that doesn't need work of one kind or another......so...I took the day off today to simply unwind.

Ya know Sam & Lloyd, Sometimes things suck and sometimes they just fall into place. Last nite I was exhausted from a rough week of work but I still managed to till 1/2 acre of land for my sweetcorn. Still in the back of my mind I knew I had to till a friend's garden. It was supposed to be raining this morning, but it wasn't, so I loaded the Powermax, and tilled his two gardens by 8:30. By 9am when I'd got home and unloaded the tractor it started raining. I laid down on the sofa and slept two hours. The moral is: You guys will have good days like this and can remind me of better days when you do. Paul

Paul, I wasn't complaining in the least. I generally have many more good days than bad. If I have a bad day, its usually because I have made it bad myself regardless of things gone wrong. The trick is to take a break and look at the BIG picture before I make the day a Bad one. Thats what I did today. Sitting here right now trying to help others here with their problems and leave mine alone for a while. Sam

Sam, You're right! You take the good with the bad. Sometimes misery loves company, sometimes common interests/problems can spark common solutions. That's what this sites all about. Glad you're backing off from your frustrations, cuz that'll help in solving them when you take a fresh perspective. Didn't mean to say you were complaining at all. Yesterday, and the last few days were pretty challenging for me (tough days) but the tractor was running great. Funny how such a little piece of machinery can turn the world around for you in a few hours. Paul

LLoyd ... when properly tuned there is nothing, nothing that runs as smooth as an Onan. I mowed my first lot of grass this spring yesterday and my AC 616 was a joy to be behind the controls. Take a nap like Paul said and try again tomorrow. Steve

The old Onans are bullet proof,but need TLC to keep them running great. Like anything else, you get out what you put into it!. Floydster

Every engine "sucks" when they don't want to run! Thanks goodness for the tech sites that help, figure out whats wrong with them...Art

It's hard to understand, but some people just seem to consistently have worse luck with one brand over others. I can't drive a Ford across the street without something going wrong, but I can run a Chrysler forever. My neighbor has the opposite problem. As to Onan engines, I have never owned one. I have a customer who went through three 18 horse Onans in an 1855 Snapper in fifteen years. I converted this to a 20 horse Briggs Vanguard for him, eight years ago. It is still going strong with the same owner. These are only personal experiences. It is not my intention to slam any one brand, and should not be taken as such. Pat

They ALL suck if no run,, 70's technology,,not bad just very expensive to fix,,and NO oem replacement engs for AC Sim spec. tracs,,THATS what I dont like about them,,also inherent elec. probs.[do I hear Lucas electrics,the guys that invented DAEKNESS??!]!] with them,,