Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnN

Leaking sunstrand trans

JohnN
Well the 7117H is running great with the exception of the hydro pump. It's leaking from the shaft nearest the free wheel valves. I'm guessing its just a seal and the leak does not seem that bad... yet. But I like to be on top of these things, as this is my main work tractor now. Is this a difficult job to do? How much will it cost, parts wise, to do my self. Are there any tips, tricks, things to watch out for when I do this. Thanks in advance, John

JohnN
Thanks Al, I'll be starting this fix in a week or so, after finals are done. With the exception of a couple of minor problems this is by far the nicest, and cheapest, tractor I've owned. Just wanted to say thanks again for the quick reply. John

Nubian
I also have a small leak on my D/A 1920 Sunstrand, from what i can tell it's problably coming from the O ring between the hydro pump and the tranny. I was also wondering how much labor is involved (time is not an issue,know how is) it does not puddle up but is enough of a leak for me to put a piece of cardboard under it so it does not stain my garage floor. Where are the free wheel valves?

Al
Hi, If the 7117 is leaking on the pto [left] side of the tractor it is probably the charge pump seal. The charge pump comes off with 2 cap screws. Note one end of the casting is rounded and the other has a flat on it. Make sure when you put it back on that the correct end is forward or it won't work. When you take it off DO NOT let the gerotor fall out and get dinged, or let them get flipped over. Besure the same surfaces are against the outside of the case. Check for play in the shaft and needle bearing before replacing the seal. When we work on this stuff we either use an unpainted steel bench top that has been wiped off with lacquer thinner or a cookie sheet, to be sure no dirt gets in the system. Also pressure wash the hydro pump area. before starting to take it apart. The most common leak on these tractors is the O-ring between the pump assy and the gear case. To fix this the Pulley needs to come off the pump, then remove the pump assy and the O-ring. Scrape the mating surfaces clean and then clean with a solvent cleaner. Next intall the new O-ring and coat the mating surfaces with a thin coat of 515 Loctite sealer. and reassemble. The 1920 would be a similar fix. Note 515 is NOT the same as a silicone or silastic sealer. It is purple and looks like grape jelly. Good luck, Al Eden