Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Was working on a John Deere and look what I found

MrSteele

I am working on an 85 John Deer 112L. I was surfing around for old JD things in case I might need them for the machine, and look what I found. It looks like JD tried to mimic other brands for a year or so back in the 70s5d1393fba381d_JohnDeerescolcors..jpg.e877f9f2b5a861ccddb8564dc8c72eb4.jpg

I heard somewhere that the smaller JDs were made by MTD.  That would explain the similarities.

The attached article said that John Deere was trying to sell more tractors, and that the more pleasing colors might attract more customers. However, the experiment only lasted about 2 years. Looks to me like they were trying to look like their main competitors so more people would buy, based on colors, not what was inside. I have worked on a bunch over the years, nothing similar to MTD in them

Now JD collectors go ga ga over these unusual colored tractors.

I myself don't see spending big money on a (Patio) tractor just because of a strange color combo. Anyone can make a tractor look like these oddball colors and try to pass it off as a rare tractor and unless a person knows how to decipher a serial number or code it's just another tractor with a weird color. JMO

• Like 1

Deere had a 1/16 scale Patio Tractor set for display. If you can find one of those displays, it is worth about as much as the tractor!!
If any Deere's were made by MTD, it could be the Sabres sold by discount houses (Walmart, Ace, etc.), but I'm pretty sure they are all in-house produced.

The Patio Tractors were Horicon Works (Wisconsin) products (which is still producing the lawn tractors today). Not to "mimic" the other companies, but giving the customer a choice of colors, like buying a car. It did not go over as well as expected, so they dropped it.

Just like the marketing gaff by Lionel Trains: They found out that girls like toy trains as much as the boys, so they came out with a pink train. It totally flopped because girls knew that trains were black, no pink!!

https://www.deere.com/en/our-company/john-deere-careers/interview-resources/fun-facts/

Edited by Hick
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You had me confused there for a bit with "85 112L", as I knew the 112 line was from the 70's. But I see they used the 100 series numbers again in the 80's. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Now JD collectors go ga ga over these unusual colored tractors.

I myself don't see spending big money on a (Patio) tractor just because of a strange color combo. Anyone can make a tractor look like these oddball colors and try to pass it off as a rare tractor and unless a person knows how to decipher a serial number or code it's just another tractor with a weird color. JMO

In the day many dealers could not sell all the Patio tractors, so they took them in the shop and painted them green, and easily sold them.  The collectors also go "ga ga" over the patio tractors that were painted green by the dealers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Now that's a rainbow of colors. They sure are unique,  I will give them that!

I was into Deere a little when I  first  got into the hobby but don't remember if these had an identification number or code that showed if these tractors started out life as a patio tractor or not?

Edited by fishnwiz

Deere built all of their own tractors, at least up until 2014.  From memory, they purchased what had been a Murray factory in Tennessee back in the 90's and I believe that is where the Sabre tractors were built.  I think that is what started all the rumors of them being MTD/Murray etc.  The Sabres were built to compete with the Murray and MTD style tractors.  Cheap, entry level tractors.  Even though they were cheap, you at least had a dealer network for parts and service, unlike the other box store junk that didn't really have a true servicing dealer network.

I thought I was told at the Deere factory tour that the Big Box stuff was built in Mexico ??

On 6/26/2019 at 10:49 AM, MrSteele said:

I am working on an 85 John Deer 112L.

Did you mean to post this twice?

The 2013 Gilmore show had 74 (if memory serves me) colored and green/repaint Patios.  I can't seem to find my photos but this was some of them form that show. 

20130629_130528.jpg

On 7/1/2019 at 11:39 AM, fishnwiz said:

I thought I was told at the Deere factory tour that the Big Box stuff was built in Mexico ??

No. The lawn equipment is either made in Horicon, WI or in Greenville, Tennessee.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ShaunE said:
On 6/26/2019 at 10:49 AM, MrSteele said:

I am working on an 85 John Deer 112L.

Did you mean to post this twice?

No idea how that happened???

19 hours ago, MrSteele said:

No idea how that happened???

I've been using that exact line on the women in my life since I was a child! 666

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, dhoadley said:

I've been using that exact line on the women in my life since I was a child! 666

That's not MY kid!! sm00

• Haha 1