Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3310H

PhanDad

I've been looking to pick up a parts tractor with a good Vickers tranny to become a spare for the Vickers in my Homelite T-12 (broke an axle tube several years back and used the spare to replace it).  I've mainly been looking for a 3400 series tractor mostly because they the "improved" tranny where the brake works when in the dis-engaged mode and the newer BGB with cone clutch.  

Any candidates I found were either too expensive to be a parts tractor (I hate to kill a tractor) or too far away.  Recently I went to look at a $200 "running" 3416H  with deck that wasn't too far away.  Although the tractor ran OK, the axle tube had a crack at the keyway so I left without the tractor (and educated the owner about axle tube failures).

A couple weeks ago, a $100 3310H appeared on Craigslist (running when parked in a shed years ago, but no spark now).  I had trouble contacting the seller and the ad was taken down, so I thought my purchase opportunity was gone.   BUT it re-appeared several days later (seller was going to get it running but changed his mind).  So it's now mine after a check of the axle tube.  Some pics:   

IMG_0033.thumb.JPG.86dc57e4161c60c8ddc8deb2428e83e7.JPG

IMG_0037.thumb.JPG.326c9f77d98c8c89a41b7b6dee299d0e.JPG

IMG_0057.thumb.JPG.6656ec2be0facaef417c61acd65a7e35.JPG

IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.039fab487565cf62713a991d67014c11.JPG

A few observations:

S/G works and engine has compression but their is an issue with the magneto (mice at work maybe?)

A mechanical front PTO vs the mid cone clutch.

Surprised it has a 48" deck  - it doesn't, it's a 42" with a wide bail.  :o

First deck I ever saw with the double V deck drive belt. 

Never saw the "extra" piece bolted to the manual lift lever before: 

IMG_0068.thumb.JPG.71a9e9cc82f566ecda76f7ec66f23bb1.JPG

Anyone know what function it serves?  

PS - The deck isn't in that bad of shape, if anyone wants to pick it up before it heads to the scrape yard, let me know.  

Edited by PhanDad
corrected deck size
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Surprised is had a 48" deck. 

Are you sure its a 48? Looks like a 42 with the short outside rollers. The 42" decks for the 3300 series did have a wide bail or what ever you call it like the 48's.

@SmilinSam,  you are correct; I just measured it.  I don't remember seeing a 42" deck with the wide bail, that's why I thought it was a 48".  Any idea of the MFG#?

Another oddity to me, is the the deck has the lift point at the idler trough the belt guard, like the newer decks:

IMG_0058.thumb.JPG.3d9543525017ea124ef6a2301ea8373c.JPG

But a chain connected the rock shaft to the deck lift point.  Also nuts were crudely welded to the deck guards to hold the one piece belt guard which I assume is a feature of a deck that runs the double V belt.  (Maybe cage nuts fell out and a PO welded in the nuts).   

Yeah think I'm wrong because I was thinking of a 3400 deck "single-v" pulley equipped. 

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Any idea of the MFG#?

Another oddity to me, is the the deck has the lift point at the idler trough the belt guard, like the newer decks

Bill, I'm going to say mfg # 990670, at least I think thats what it is. The  tag on my same deck here is missing.

The rockshaft on these 3300's  has a bar welded to it , much like the Footdraggers had bolted to their lift levers. Chain does just hook up to the eye.on these decks.

I just converted mine over to a single belt pulley , but only have used it once, as it really needs new bearings.(one of those projects on the "extended list") Got a tiller and a sickle mower for my 3310. Usually just use the sickle mower.

Edited by SmilinSam

2 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

You guys lost me at "double V deck pulley "dz

The 3200 series and 3300 series were known to have used an oem double v belt to drive the mower decks from the tractor pto. The pulleys on both the pto and the center arbor shafts also had double v grooves to accomodate the double v belt.

Think of the double v belt as 2 single belts glued together side by side....

I believe if memory serves,  that eventually Simplicity offered a conversion kit to go from the double v belt drive to the more desirable single v belt drive. Apparently the double v system had some problems, or at least wasnt well accepted by the consumers.

2 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Think of the double v belt as 2 single belts glued together side by side....

A pic for @fishnwiz:

Wbelt_0002.jpg.00207543b4f4c545faadab73696a859e.jpg

Got this belt along with a tractor many years ago.  Before I knew what it was, I called it a "W" belt.  sm00 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Never seen one and I have owned a lot of tractors. 

I've only seen them in pictures myself. Had a number of tractors and decks that used them, but the actual belt was always missing.

2 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

I've only seen them in pictures myself. Had a number of tractors and decks that used them, but the actual belt was always missing.

I had 1 tractor with that belt setup. Belt was old an needed replacement so I removed the double pulley and converted to a single. Sold that tractor years ago...

3 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

I've only seen them in pictures myself.

Want me to send you the old one I just took off?  

Never know when you might need one.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, SmilinSam said:

Are you sure its a 48? Looks like a 42 with the short outside rollers. The 42" decks for the 3300 series did have a wide bail or what ever you call it like the 48's.

The way I can always tell the 42's vs. the 48's, the steel stock on the adjustment setup that is attached to the roller bar is a straight piece of stock on a 42".  On the 48", it has an angle to it.  Compare pic below to the above.

IMG_4989.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have owned and seen several "W" belts on the 48" decks only.  Never seen one on a 42".  On the 3112, 3212, 3314 and on the AC 112 and 212. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Tom45
    • Ronald Hribar
    • gmiller
    • simplewrench
    • fulltimeraye
    • SmilinSam
    • PhanDad
    • sammiefish
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

I am having ankle replacement surgery Monday 4/8 and will be away from ST business for a few days till the drugs clear out. Keep reviewing ST and let us know challenges and suggested revisions. gw
      · 3 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts