Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cckb starter questions

schaefer72

hi i am in process of trying to start my cckb for the first time after doing some repair work and cleaning it up - it has been sitting for about 3 years when i bought it - the prev. owner parked it after having some minor problems and he said it ran good last time it was fired up - the starter wont turn over and no click from solenoid - the dash hot light comes on when i turn the key but nothing happens and the voltage meter on the dash dose nothing - should it move when i turn the key just like in my car ? - the motor turns well and seems to have good compression - pulled solenoid and tryed to hot wire it to check it out and nothing - what is the proper way to do this ? i put the pos. on the pos. connection and neg on neg. connector what touches the other smaller connection? pos. power ? - also i checked and a new starter is $200 and new solenoid $90 bucks - is there a cheaper replacement starter or solenoid you can use at the auto parts store ? - or do i need to fork out the dough ? - also can you hot wire the starter directly without the solenoid ? if yes how ? - checked my manuals and tryed all the stuff about having the ptos in the off position and having the tractor in neutral - nothing still - one last question what is a good compresion level for this motor ? thanks for the info -

Couple fo things come to mind: 1. if your neutral safety switch is bad, or out of adjustment, you may want to temporarily jumper the connector to it and try again. 2. Make sure your PTO switch connectors are good and there are no loose wires to them. 3. If you can get a probe in, check (with a voltmeter) to see that the wire to the solenoid is getting a positive when you turn the key to start. 4. Is the ammeter pegging when you turn the key? Paul

hi - i have an update on progress - pulled starter solenoid apart and someone had repaired it and apparently put it back together wrong - cleaned it and put it back together after testing it with hot wires jumped from battery and magnet worked - put it together and then tryed jumping starter itself - it turned - next put solenoid back in and hooked up wires and turned the key - nothing - so i jumped power to the small connector on the solenoid and it engaged and turned motor over - small victory ! - but why wont the starter turn when i turn the key - also voltmeter still wont move - i will next try jumping the neutral and safety switches and see if i get the volt meter on the tractor to move or not and see if i can get the starter to turn with the key - anyway i am happy for today just to get the solenoid working and see the starter turning the motor -

My guess is that you have a bad key switch - which is not uncommon. The range for CCKA/B engine compression is ~ 80 -105 PSI. Sounds like you are getting close. Good luck. Jeff