Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mike_sdak

HD Tiller - drags on ground occasionally when lifted...

mike_sdak

How are you all doing?  It's been a while since I've been around, life's been too busy.  

So last weekend, I finally was able to till the garden - we had about 80" of snow, all winter, and then snowmelt until early May, and then a bunch of rain.  Interesting year, to be sure.   I broke the lift cable when lifting the 38" HD tiller with my 917 hydrolift.  I replaced the cable with fresh 3/16 cable and some cable clamps, which worked well.    I also reversed the lift direction - now pushing the lever forward raises the tiller.  (I don't know if this has any mechanical advantage over the normal direction, but I digress).    When driving to and from the garden, I noticed that the tiller was intermittently dragging on the grass when I went over uneven ground. I think it did the same thing in the past, before I replaced the cable.    Is this what other HD tiller owners have experienced?   Is there a way to raise this up?  

Edited by mike_sdak

SmilinSam

Later model OEM cables had/have a clevis that was/is adjustable on the threaded end. Allows a small amount of lift adjustment.

Bill725

I adjust my rear lifts so to be level with the ground in the down position. This is how you adjust for Brinly attachments and works fine for my Sovereign tiller.  But, my tiller also drags on uneven ground for example when the front end raises.

mike_sdak

I think I will add a turnbuckle of my own in the cable, right near the hydro pump.  If I can add an inch or two of raise height, I don't think it will hurt my lowering depth, as I think about it further....since will currently lower the tiller until there is a fair amount of slack in the cable.

• Like 1