Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity model d

Steve O

I need suggestions on where to find a manual for a Simplicity model d, serial #31441. 

Am I correct this model is 1948?

The engine is a The Clinton model 727a I also need a manual for this as I need to order points and condenser. 

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

Edited by Steve O
Fix spelling

There are a few walker owners on this site, but not too many.  

I never want to suggest you look elsewhere, but you might have more luck here if you can post:

http://www.simplicityva.com/mfgno.html

From the owner list, Josh is our president and I believe Kart Brandt is (was) a member here.  

PS - I don't think the engine is original.

Edited by PhanDad
Added PS

If you are looking for a paper copy of the manual they occasionally show up on Ebay. How are the handles on yours, seems most I see have had several repairs. 

I have a 52 M1 in a state of flux. Mine has a Briggs, which yours likely is supposed to The page above is about the only page I have found any info on. Another page http://www.simplicityva.com/simpmodel-3.html

might save you a little time. Information concerning the tractors is rather scarce, parts even more scarce. I had to make seals for the transmission. I like to restore mechanically, not so much for beauty. If all your parts are there, you are lucky. Even if the Clinton is not original, it is a great engine, but parts are more fun to find than those hen's teeth and needles in haystacks. I have some new old stock, and can get some from a local small engine parts vendor, depending on what you need. Points can be cleaned and filed, so no need to replace. The mag and condenser are a bit more interesting. As you take it apart, do not throw anything away until you have the replacement installed and engine running

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 12:44 AM, B-16_IC said:

If you are looking for a paper copy of the manual they occasionally show up on Ebay. How are the handles on yours, seems most I see have had several repairs. 

Just need new hand grips, steel is in great shape no repairs done to them . Some sanding and paint and good to go.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, MrSteele said:

I have a 52 M1 in a state of flux. Mine has a Briggs, which yours likely is supposed to The page above is about the only page I have found any info on. Another page http://www.simplicityva.com/simpmodel-3.html

might save you a little time. Information concerning the tractors is rather scarce, parts even more scarce. I had to make seals for the transmission. I like to restore mechanically, not so much for beauty. If all your parts are there, you are lucky. Even if the Clinton is not original, it is a great engine, but parts are more fun to find than those hen's teeth and needles in haystacks. I have some new old stock, and can get some from a local small engine parts vendor, depending on what you need. Points can be cleaned and filed, so no need to replace. The mag and condenser are a bit more interesting. As you take it apart, do not throw anything away until you have the replacement installed and engine running

Points are clean as are the shaft contacts, condenser tested good so just need to find a new coil or someone that can rewind it. Still searching. Everything is freed up except the throttle lever once I get that off the cable I will know if I need a new cable, are those available? 

New coil? What size engine, a 3 or 5 HP?

As for the cable, you will most likely have to buy a stock length choke cable and make your own new one. Or, are you talking about some of the engine linkage? Linkage might be difficult to find, but can be made as well, from the steel wire left over from the control cable fabrication. Length will be interesting to find. If a 5 HP, I can look at one of mine and get measurements for you. I have 4, 5 HP Clintons to use on Yazoo mowers, was told one had a bad coil, but when properly grounded, will rattle your teeth!

As I recall, that condenser is small diameter. If you have enough room, virtually and 6 volt automobile condenser that will fit under the cover will make it run like new. I put several in old McCullough chainsaws. I have a 1 3/4 HP Hercules with an EK mag that runs just fine on a 216 Chevy condenser, just had to modify the lead