Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck adjusters

rbstuartjr

So my new to my Sovereign has been working out well for the most part. The 48 mower cuts a lot lower than my 42 that was on my 910. On the 42, the adjusters are set for their max height, so I figured I’ll just adjust the deck on the 48. I was wrong. The threaded rod on the one side was bent and no amount of turning would get that lower but to move. The other side just had rust on the threads so I was hoping for a better result. I chased the lower threads, used Map gas, freeze off, kroil, pb blaster and a 3 foot pipe while it was in a vise. I got it to move about 1/2 inch. 😞. I then gave up. So I remembered I have a spare deck from my 914 that is hidden away and I could scavenge those adjusters.  Well one snapped as I was trying to turn it and the other one I did get about 1” of travel before I felt like it was going to snap. 

My other 42 inch deck adjusts just fine. What am I missing? Why are these so incredibly hard to make working again. I looked at parts sights and to replace both adjusters with the rod and nut will be about $120. Just a bit frustrated with all this.

5 hours ago, rbstuartjr said:

I chased the lower threads

What did you use to chase the threads??  A 3/8-16 nut?  the pivot nut??  or a thread cutting die?  For tough threads, you can't beat a die.  I inherited a bunch of taps & dies from my dad when he went to live with Jesus and they have saved my bacon time and time again.  I bought a small set from Harbor Freight for under $20. 

That pair of adjusters on ebay looks like a good investment but don't throw out the remaining old ones.  In fact, you could make a replacement handle from a proper length of 3/8-16 all-thread and weld a T-handle on top.  Just another alterative.

set.jpg

In a pinch, just remove the adjuster and bolt the deck tight in the highest position it'll go.  That's where they're used 90+% of the time.  

I chase threads with a die set.  It took off most of the rust but the pivot nut just would not budge. Usually when rusty nuts get loose they will work slowly down the threads. These things will just not budge and since I snapped one with a cheater pipe, I was afraid to do work them anymore. I will see about getting the used set. In the meant8me I could just tighten down the nuts on the deck at its highest position, you’re right, that’s where I want it anyway.

I just couldn’t believe how hard these things were to turn. I get one maybe tough but all 4 that I have. 

6 hours ago, rbstuartjr said:

chase threads with a die set

My bad.  Apparently it has rusted to the point that the nut is fused onto the shaft.  Try soaking it in Aero-Kroil and then heat & beat the nut to break it loose.  It may be a lost cause but worth a try.

I've also found some to be almost impossible to get working again.  

My thinking is they are adjusted real hard (in the max up position) and never touched again for years (or decades).  Then they gall.  Or if it isn't galling, then since there's a gap between the threads on only one side of the threads, it fills completely with rust which just don't respond to "normal" treatment. 

I always use anti-seize when putting them back together - because I always adjust them hard (deck full up) so they don't vibrate loose.