Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 616

When deciphering an Onan engine serial number, remember this....on the first four numbers, the first two represent the month of manufacture, and the next two represent the year. In other words "0372" means that your tractors engine was built in March of 1972, so it is indeed a '72 model. it also sounds like a nice one! I'm envious! Don

Hi All, I'm new to this forum. Just picked up an Allis Chalmers 616 with 60" belly mower and a Johnson Workhorse Front End Loader. I know nothing about this tractor and would like to get some info if possible. The tractor S/N is 1852066. The Onan S/N is 0372414464. Does anyone know what year this thing is? What does it weigh? Where is the best place to get manuals? Where can I get specs (lift capacity) for the loader? Thanks in advance. Skyrob66@yahoo.com

Welcome....You can get manuals from Simplicity by calling 1-800-944-5450. I think the 616 was made in 72 and if you type 616, 620, 720 or 4040, 4041 or 9020 into the search box you'll get about 3 pages of info on these fine machines.enjoy MPH

I'm pretty excited about it michigandon. Get this, tractor with 60 mower,FEL, york rake, tiller AND the trailer it was sitting on for $750.00 It was not run in the last 2 1/2 years so I don't know if I bought a pig in a poke but I figured for that price the trailer and impliments alone are worth the cost of admission. I just need to wait for my manuals to arrive and take my time getting it prepped for its first start up after its hibernation. Any pit-falls to avoid or other advice? I'm a pretty good wrench turner but not familiar with Onans. Rob

I have a CCKB in a Fairmont MT-14 rail speeder that sat inactive about that long (if not longer!) before I acquired it. I would replace all the fuel lines, and rebuild the fuel pump and carb. I threw a rebuild kit in my carb and it lasted about a year or two before I had to throw in the towel and buy a new one. If you're interested I can point you to a sourece that sells these carbs for about $100 LESS than the Onan dealership does (they get them directly from Zenith). Also, an electric fuel pump is a BIG help to aid cold starting on these old girls. Just judging by the asking prices I've seen here as well as the traderonline classifieds, $750 is indeed a steal, even if it hasn't been ran in 2.5 years. Good Luck! Don