Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy XL Frustration

GregB

While I generally like the XL, the right foot controlling everything is frustrating.

It it hard to set the brake and keep your foot on the go or reverse pedal at the same time.

My property is mostly slopes, so setting the parking brake on a slope is needed.

Why did they not think of a left foot brake?  It is open space, and the left foot is just hanging around while the right gets all the work.

Has anyone looked at fabricating a left brake, or adding a hand lever?

I was thinking of a second XL, but not sure at this point.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, GregB said:

It it hard to set the brake and keep your foot on the go or reverse pedal at the same time.

I'm curious - I know nothing about Legacy's.

Doesn't the tractor stay put when the go/reverse pedal is in "neutral" like the "Sovereign" hydros?  (and allow you enough time to set the parking brake)  

If it doesn't, I would think there's an issue with the hydro.  

Enlighten me please.    

• Confused 1

Even with the throttle at full RPM, it will not stay still on a slope.

I have a gage to check the pressure, just have not had time to do it............

I also know little about these, so is it a design flaw, like the no left foot pedal, or is it a hydro problem.  I hope not.

• Confused 1

. I dont have a Legacy xl, but my Kubota BX25D wont stay still on a slope either. I have to lock the brakes so it wont slowly roll away too.

Only difference is my Kubota has the brake on the left and the brake lock and the motion pedal on the right.

• Like 1

My Legacy (original) is the same way. Don't really get what the issue is. Takes like half a second to move foot from direction control to brake pedal. Virtually no coast in the time it takes to set the brake. Unless you have disabled something you have to set the brake before your bottom leaves the seat anyway. I get as much or more movement from regular hydro creep.

• Like 1

Well opinions vary on this topic.....................

When you add the weight of the front end loader, the loaded weight box, the 60" deck, it drifts faster than I can react.   Especially when I have brick stacked in the bucket, and it is pointing down hill at the pile I want to stack the brick with the rest.

Not to mention the ridiculous length of travel to the lock position. Someone modified the pedal to shorten the length you have to reach, but I have not done that yet.

And my sovereigns do not creep in neutral, as long as the engine is running.

Edited by GregB

Thanks for posting this Greg. I have the same problem with my dad’s XL. It will only coast going downhill in forward not reverse. If it’s the same coasting as I’m experiencing, I tap the reverse part of the foot control to stop it. Once I do this, the coasting stops & then it will hold. I’ve often thought the same thing about something being out of adjustment to return the valve to a stopped position but haven’t looked into it as it hasn’t been critical for me. But I certainly can understand how critical it is for you by the way you explained it. I’ll be following this one for sure to see what you find.

Mine will not stay "stopped" unless I hold the reverse pedal.   If I let go it drifts.

Part of the problem with adjustments is there seems to be no repair manual for the XL series tractors.

I even called Simplicity and they were not help ????

Anyone ever found one? 

What do the dealerships use?

21 hours ago, GregB said:

Someone modified the pedal to shorten the length you have to reach, but I have not done that yet.

Greg, I have modified the pedal on my machines, mainly so that my early style hard cab fits and still allows me to use the pedal for starting.  

Interestingly, I have had 2 XL's now that I used regularly.  My old house had slopes all around.  Driveway and the yard was sloped on all sides, pretty severely.  My previous machine held really well when running and when not...so well in fact that I never used the parking brake.  I was taught a lesson, however when I parked the machine in our driveway and took a bike ride with the wife and kids one day.  I came home over an hour later to my XL in the middle of the road, and people driving around it.  I started using the parking brake.

What I find with my current XL is much the same.  If on a severe slope while running, it will drift and I have to tap the pedal in the opposite direction of the slope to halt the machine, but it will hold for a short period, then slowly drift.  On a more gentle slope, I can leave the machine running and it does not move for a few minutes.  If not running I have left it for hours and it moves a few inches.  The motion is so slow it is noticeable.  I have never had neutral creep on the level from my XL hydro's, but have from early Legacy's.  I do use the brake a lot now, however...with kids running all over, climbing on my machine, etc.  It's become muscle memory. 

The changed pedal position is wonderful.  I bought an XL this past winter and used it for a short time.  It had the typical pedal position and I was blown away by how far the reach has to be to use it!  Annoying as heck.  With the shorter reach and change in the 'push' angle, it takes mush less effort to drive the pedal forward.  Initially I was worried the pedal might be in the way, but it has never caught my pants or boot.  My weld has held now on 3 modified pedals, so I have never added a gusset.  

20151229_124014.jpg

20151229_124030.jpg

15 hours ago, GregB said:

Part of the problem with adjustments is there seems to be no repair manual for the XL series tractors.

I even called Simplicity and they were not help ????

Anyone ever found one? 

What do the dealerships use?

The pics are great, my brake pedal actually bumps against the soft cab panel when it is there.

Also thanks for the info on the two different tractors behavior.

Did you have occasion to check the running hydro pressure?

As far as my quote above has anyone ever got a lead on manuals? 

Or know anybody at a dealership to find out what they use?

I have not been able to find a Legacy XL service manual, and the owner's manual does not call out any fwd/rev or neutral adjustment.  The early legacy manual does, but it's a totally different (more basic?) trans setup.  The XL manual does have a park brake adjust section, but that seems irrelevant here.

Yes, I have checked the pressure on on my XL's, but only on the implement side, as I have shimmed the two machines that I have had as long term workers. Stock pressure has always been about 950psi.   The loader capacity is very disappointing at this pressure.  I increase mine to about 1200psi and the difference is night and day, but I have not noticed any impact to how the driveline behaves.  Steering improves and implement/3pt use improves.  

I recently (last fall) was able to measure my lift capacity with known-weight.  We installed flooring so I had a skid of flooring plank cases that needed to go from my driveway to our basement walkin.  I would have to dig up the details again, but on top of my forkset, which outweighs my bucket, I had around 700lbs on, and it would lift it to full height...pretty good the first 3 feet, and then very slowly to the top.  I've put a lot of heavy pallets into the truck as well, but the load way out front eats capacity.  

I think the Deere X700 series and maybe X500 series use the same transmission as the Legacy XL. You could look into repair manuals on those tractors and see whats written in the transmission section....

...just a thought

1 hour ago, Bill725 said:

I am interested on the procedure to increase the pressure.

Bill, it's very simple.  The worst part is removing the seatpan.  Once that is out of the way, get a 19mm on the charge valve and remove it carefully.  I add a 1.0 mm shim (5x10), or combination of shims to get me to 1.0-1.1mm.  Others have had luck with more or less shim.  Tuff Torq says the safe operation spec on the K92 is 1300psi.  Simplicity spec'd them to be setup very low...less chance for operator error running the machines, I suppose.  

image.thumb.png.d9bda3fe29c8d8c10bd128751220660f.png

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

I think the Deere X700 series and maybe X500 series use the same transmission as the Legacy XL. You could look into repair manuals on those tractors and see whats written in the transmission section....

...just a thought

They do, and it would be nice to see if/how Deere has an adjustment to the input.  I don't see any adjustment in the K92 service manual.  In the troubleshooting, 'neutral adjustment' is shown as a cause for several issues, but is not addressed anywhere else.  

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/instance1EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/docs/manuals/k92.pdf

Josh, you will see decreased capacity on your loader as it reaches the top due to the angle of the lift cylinders.  The further up it goes the closer they get  parallel to the frame.

I am a newby XL owner so I have been following this post.  Mine seems to creep downhill also, to the point where your foot has to be pretty quick to go from hydro to brake.

• Thanks 1

Josh,

Maybe the reason the K92 manual does not have any adjustments for neutral is they are all linkage type adjustments.  That would be the tractor manufacturer side of the system, like in the Large Frame repair manual.

Found a site where I can buy the X700 Series Deere Repair manual for $39 for PDF.

Not  sure I want to spring for that on a maybe.

Anyone willing to admit they have one, or are on a friendly Deere sight where they can inquire?

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a long time, but yes I have the same issue with my XL (moving before you can reach the  brake pedal)  and find it hard to believe that there was no left side brake pedal, it would make so much more sense to have a single brake pedal  on the left foot board while your right foot is doing the directional control duties......

Edited by ReedS
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ReedS said:

Haven't posted in a long time, but yes I have the same issue with my XL (moving before you can reach the  brake pedal)  and find it hard to believe that there was no left side brake pedal, it would make so much more sense to have a single brake pedal  on the left foot board while your right foot is doing the directional control duties......

Welcome Back Reed! 

• Like 2

this may piss  a few ,but got the chance to actually run an XL over the last week and,

I'll keep my Agco 2025 . Didn't like the loader controls and the switch to go from loader to three point is a pain , see no reason why both can't be used at the same time . Found it much easier to use my loader to do the same reguired deads

Ya''ll had me wishing that I had an XL , 4x4 would be nice  but I'll keep my early Legacy , thank you

Edited by 720nut

16 hours ago, 720nut said:

. Didn't like the loader controls and the switch to go from loader to three point is a pain , see no reason why both can't be used at the same time

You got to be kidding?  .. The loader isnt on its own hydraulic circuit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

You got to be kidding?  .. The loader isnt on its own hydraulic circuit?

No, there is an electronic diverter switch on the 'lift' side of the circuit.  The switch toggles between front 'lift' and mid/rear 'lift'.   I really like the foot control for the implement lift on the early legacy, but could not stand the loader control on early Legacy loaders, especially when compared to the XL.  Every piece of equipment takes some getting used to, so a single ride on something surely shouldn't be the end all.  I can tell you that using the diverter switch is super intuitive and I've never heard of one failing.  I would MUCH rather have that switch than a separate PTO pump to install and have to switch on to user my loader.  The XL overall us a much smoother operator than the early Legacy.  I recently picked up another early legacy to flip, and it felt very primitive.  The XL loader is more robust and much, much, much easier to control than the early loaders.  I'm shocked by the input.  I really don't know anyone who is using the loader and 3 pt simultaneously.  I use them alternating, and flicking the switch couldn't make it easier.    

I love my XL. I am pretty quick to go from hydro to the brake. My yard is a giant hill and I usually just tap the rev or forward pedal and hit the brake. My machine is 90 percent loader use so I understand what you are saying but I really never have an issue. My wife did when we first got it but she has become very comfortable running it. The loader controls are in a fine spot for me and I like the switch for front and rear lift. You May be able to modify it to relocate the pedal to the left. My tractor belonged to Maynard and his wife said the dealership switched everything to left when he bought it. Right now its all back to stock. Not sure if she has pics.

Paul, thanks for the input on the left foot controls..

Wonder what they did to make the conversion?

I have been looking at Regent left foot brake pedals on e-bay with the thought of a conversion.

Do you know anthing about the dealer that did the switch?

Did the previous owner convert it back?

• 2 weeks later...