Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What bad luck

KSever

Hi Kris, the easiest thing to do is see if the motor turns over with or without any compression. Pulling the head on your machine should be easy if you need to see if the piston is moving. If the block is not busted out and the rod is broke, it may still be rebuildable. Remember about the 525 motor I told you about, I rebuilt one with a thrown rod when I was a kid. Dan

I had my 717 up on ebay. Was moving it around to make sure it would start and run good before the end of the auction and suddenly heard a clunk and the motor quit. Sounds like it may be a rod? Anybody have any better ideas before I tear this thing apart. I can't believe after all the snow I ran this in last winter and it just now does this at this time. Guess I should have rebuilt the motor when I did everything else. What luck!! KS

It's rough when that happens. What's worse is when it happens immediately after the sale. Even if the money is refunded, the buyer thinks you tried to pull a fast one, and you think the buyer did something to a great running machine. Hope it turns out to be something simple, like carbon or hydro lock................

If it clunked and turned to a stop, maybe a lucky flywheel key shear. If it clunked and stopped dead...uh oh! If nothing came through the block or tore up the cylinder wall, lucky, but a rebuild....Good luck Art