Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Couldnt help myself...

SmilinSam

Just had to drag it home...

Was on the concrete pad when I went to unload my scrap iron today. Asked what they had to have for it, and was told to unload and they would throw it on before I went back over the scale. Sounded Ok to me...

medium.DSCN2169.JPG.c6085a290f404531ed65

medium.DSCN2170.JPG.61f7cc2b446ad06322d2

medium.DSCN2171.JPG.d9c0f613ab22c24bd811

Was told the guy that dumped it off for scrap was going to fix it, but said it was stuck, so he just junked it.

Well....

I got it home and other than the recoil being real tight at the first attemp to pull it, it did turn over and wasnt stuck. A few more pulls and it seems fine.

Tank is actually shiny and clean inside. Might try to get it to run tomorrow.

Engie is a 1984 16hp. Generator tag just says "Generator" 8000 watt, with the other usuual information.

Whether it works or not, all I could see was tractor engine  or tractor engine parts...

• Like 5

IF you do get it to run, and it does not generate the coil may need "field flashed"

Web search and it will come up, but it involves plugging in a corded drill and with the engine running then spinning the drill chuck backwards, it creates a small current, and then the genny should put out and power the drill in the forward direction.

Worked on an old 4000w generator head I got with a broken axle tractor years ago.

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1

By weight I figure I paid about $15-$20 for it in iron.

A little more investigating this morning tells me its a good engine. Great compression, clean and likely the carb was run out of gas at its last use.. There is still paint under where the air filter sits....cant be a whole lot of time on the unit.

Got to drum up another magntron ignition coil, as the mice pretty well ate this one up and their urine rotted it out, along with the engine shroud.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brettw said:

Good steal.  Will work great for 7100 series, or, with a tapered shaft adapter.  Great score!

The hunt beginsdOd

Going to see what kind of suitable fixer uppers show up this week at the consignment auction next weekend.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

The hunt beginsdOd

Going to see what kind of suitable fixer uppers show up this week at the consignment auction next weekend.

Burns? 

9 minutes ago, B-16_IC said:

Burns? 

Hatzers in Annawan. Stephens supposed to let me know later this week if anything worth looking at shows up.

Burns next 2 sales are Sept 21st and Nov 2nd

Jones has another big consignment in Aledo on Aug 31st as well

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TomSchmit said:

I have never bee able to find a tapered shaft adapter. Where can such a thing be found?

Thanks - Tom

Ebay has them and Amazon might