Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bigdoug42

landlord front axle assembly cracked

bigdoug42

I have a 1692042 landlord GTH that has cracked the front axle assembly, does anyone have a link to a procedure for swapping this out? I have one attached to another landlord but I cannot get the large pivot bolt out. Am I missing something? Tried to drive it through, no dice.

AC710

It's just a bolt with a collar and  may have two nuts or a lock nut. Most likely is rusted in, so rust solvent, heat, hammer to break it free.

Got pix of the crack?

Edited by AC710

Chris727

It is a stepped bolt. I just bought one for my '99 Landlord DLX. I haven't attempted to remove it yet. PartsTree is now saying its NLA. Took around a month to get mine through a local distributor. Parts support is starting to disappear for this series and some are less than twenty years old. Really pathetic. Here a pic from eBay of a used one. 

bolt.jpg

AC710

Wow, guess I misinterpreted the model of your tractor. Definitely not the same animal as the landlords of old with the solid 5/8" x 2-1/2" solid steel front beam. Is that stamped steel?  Chris's pic looks like the bolt is hollow with a grease zerk in the end. Are there bushings in the frame mounting?

It looks like, if you could bend or cut off the small bent-over tab, you should be able to use a wrench to twist the bolt and help break it free. It might be tough if it is rusted into the tube in the frame. Work rust fluid into the tube with hammer and heat to loosen things up. Then I would go to Ace hardware and get a $4.00 grade 8 bolt for a replacement and grease it up good .

The old ones had their own wear issues, but are easy to replace.

front spindle.jpg

Edited by AC710

AC710
16 hours ago, Brettw said:

Looks like it could be welded?

To weld it, you would have to pull the spindle assembly to get at the bottom side of the steering bracket. As-is, it is set up for a major bend/break failure when you hit a hard bump. AND it needs to be pulled back together because it is nearly 1/4" out of alignment (as if that matters with this type of thing). xD

That gets you right back to the original post - "how do I get that bolt out of there to take the axle off for repair or replacement?"

Edited by AC710

wwbragg

Sounds like it is either rusted in there or hanging up on one of the ridges of the stepped bolt..  Put the tractor up on jack stands and support the axel on separate jack stands so there is no weight at all on the bolt.  Give it a healthy drink of AeroKroil, wait 5 minutes and replace the nut (so you don't peen the threads).  Then wrap it a good blow or two with a mallet to break it loose and then work it out.  

Last resort, grind off the front tab and try to take it out backwards. 

bigdoug42

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try to get it out when i have a little bit more time, for now I have located one in a neighboring town for very cheap, in great shape, As far a welding, I was not even going to try, it's that broken. While I have it apart, I was thinking of the upgrade to "poor mans power steering". Did not find anything on this sites search. Does anyone have any ideas or link? Thanks.

Bill725

I am willing to help you. I have added thrust needle roller bearings to both my bevel gearbox FDTs and RBTs, but I am unfamiliar with your Landlord. To proceed, please provide the following info.

1st: Measure the front spindle diameter to determine what diameter thrust bearing to use and it's thickness.

2nd: We will select top & bottom thrust washer thicknesses based on how much room is available.

3rd: We will need to find a seal to keep the dirt out.

Edited by Bill725

AC710

From what I saw on Ebay and other sites, it looks like rust is an issue on most of the bolts and axle beams of this model that people are selling. Either most folks aren't greasing them regularly or there is an engineering design mishap like the steel formula. It would be interesting to see if the steering axle pivot tubes are also rusty.

My (limited) experience with steering on these is that if everything is in good shape, adjusted, clean and greased, steering is easy without power, poor man's or otherwise.

MrSteele

I just put a 65 Landlord together with greasable bushings at the pivot, PMPS on the front end, and a needle thrust bearing on the PTO shaft, among other things. Like Bill said, we will help with PMPS, but need to know several dimensions as he has stated. Looking at your pic, you likely do not have enough wear to install the thrust bearings and might need a bit of machining to get the clearance necessary.

As for the bolt being stepped. That looks like wear due to the lack of greasing on the pivot bolt, not a factory fabrication. Maybe a solid piece of 4140 threaded on the end, a grease hole bored through on the inside with a couple small transverse holes at each bushing for grease to travel to the bushings. If you are still worried about wear, flame harden the fabrication after all holes and threads are completed