Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine preferences

lboy1971

BETTER GET USED TO HONDA because simplicity will have them in a least one model for now and maybe more in future .THEY ARE the quietest engines i have ever heard .YOU HAVE TO RUN YOUR ENGINES wide open for them to run right. AGCO918

What is everyones opinions on the different engine makes and styles? Mostly wondering about horizontal engines that could go in landlord/sovereign/powermax tractors? I've had good luck and satisfaction with the older Briggs cast iron singles and a Kohler magnum 18. I've had so-so experiences with tecumseh. Never had a Kohler single. How do you guys that have the newer OHV V-twins,briggs,kohler,honda,tecumseh,onan, like them?

In the recent poll here, "What is your favorite tractor engine?", 54 members responded as follows: Briggs single 56% Kohler single 22% Briggs I/C flat twin 2% Kohler KT twin 0% Briggs Vanguard V-twin 11% Kohler Command V-twin 4% Onan CCKA/CCKB twin 6%

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Tecumseh that replacing it every 5 years won't fix. (The local rebuild was to cost 85% of the new engine bought over the internet.)

I've never been fond of Briggs since the early 70's or so when they cheapened up their engines and carbs so much. I've continued to be impressed with the Onan's and Kohlers but dismayed with replacement parts pricing. Techumseh is even more of a "throw-away when done" engine than Briggs is. Paul

As far as longevity goes before 1st rebuild,, briggs singles by FAR outlast anything bar none. imo,,

I like B/S or Kohler singles. I have both. I agree that B/S may last longer, but Kohler appears to be slightly more powerful, even in the same rating. I wouldn't hit a dog in the a** with a Tecumseh. Onan, seem to be good, but watch out some are throw-aways - not rebuildable and few parts available. I wouldn't even consider a Honda unless you have lots of cash and like running your engine wide open to make power. Rod H.

Guess I got mighty lucky when I bought my troybuilt 6hp in '73. That ole Tecumseh on it has worked so hard over the years it almost hurts to see 'em bashed all the time, though not as much as it did to see the Troybuilt name on a box store wanna-be tractor today in Fairbanks..MPH

I haft to go with briggs. I don.t think there are to many honda.s running from 1969 . I know they have not made lawn an garden engines that long . will just have to wait an see if they last that long . I use my 69 briggs every week an it starts on the frist or secound pull . Latter Pops.

I won't be buying anything but a Honda when my 716H is up for replacement. I'll probably put one of the twin cylinders on it.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

No mention of the Kohler Magnum series not even in the poll. Any opinions? I have one on my D/A 1920 (20HP) only it surges alot. I think my Walbro needs some looking into.

I have to agree with Nubian, I have a M20 (actually from a D/A 1920) in my 917 pulling tractor. That engine is smooth and strong. Mike S.