Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I think I killed my 725!

Jayybird00

BEFORE you go to the trouble of pulling the engine!!!!! The cover in front of the carburetor in your first set of pics, the unpainted cover in the third pic, covers the points and condenser. Pull a piece of emery cloth or very fine sandpaper across both sides of the points and clean them, be sure they are gapped about .020". Blow the sanding dust from between the points, then check for fire. Jumping to a conclusion such as find and change the magneto is a big step, when a tiny drop of oil between the points may be your problem.

The wire going through the cover is also a normal culprit. Be certain it is not grounded to the cover or block by wrapping the wire with electrical tape where it goes through the cover. A single wrap will do it, adding several til the cover has to compress the tape is a waterproofing trick. I use a rubber grommet cut in half with a piece of tape on the block for the wire to rest on when the cover is in place. The other wire going to the points is to the switch, and grounds the points to kill the engine. Check the condition of the wire from the points cover to the shroud, it sometimes gets grounded from wear at the carb linkage movement. Tape and move it out of the way of the linkage..

Check the easy things first, before going to extremes!

Edited by MrSteele
Spelling and punctuation
  • Like 1

Another thing. Before you assume magneto, assume condenser. While you have the cover off the points and after cleaning, remove the plug wire from the plug, and run the starter with the switch on. In low light conditions (might have to shade the points with something) check for spark across the points. If there is none, or it is very weak, get a condenser. Mags either do not work at all, or break down under heat from running the engine and lose spark

• 1 month later...

Well everyone I’m pleased to announce that she is NOT dead. I held off on pulling the engine and looked to the points condenser. Only there wasn’t one there it was and old style ignition module. Replaced that and started getting spark. Then the battery died. Replaced the battery and it fired right up! So new spark plug, new nova II module. New head gasket and new air filter. She’s purring now! 

• Like 3