Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BradW, Woody, BigSix - 8hp model 700

Brent_Baumer

Was your guys points cover on your replacement 8hp engines blocked by the frame like this one? Gonna have to do a conversion 'cause there ain't no way to get a screwdriver on the lower screw to be able to clean, adjust or replace the points without pulling the engine. Brent http://ourworld.cs.com/Bcbaumer/points.jpg

Could you drill a hole in the frame to allow the required access for a screwdriver? Will an offset screwdriver work, or are clearances too tight? Just a few ideas.... and much easier than pulling the engine.

Brent, mine was just like that! Had to pull the the hood to get to them, pain in the butt. It seems the 8 must have been a very popular replacement. If you read the caption below in the picture, it will give you more detail. Good luck,-BradW http://a6.cpimg.com/image/8C/25/9817996-40b3-028001E0-.jpg

The 725 has a removable steel panel held in place with (2) screws and j-nuts. You could grind the corner out for access, make a steel panel cover and drill (2) holes to hold the cover in place.

Brent, My Chinese connection Model 700 has the same hidden point cover. I'd rather drill a nice neat hole and keep a really good running engine. Or take the tractor apart for a tuneup. My consolation is my other great running stock Model 700 so I have a little less tension about it. How about a point replacement kit?...Woody

I'd prefer not to modify the tractor anymore than necessary, so they'll be no cutting or grinding. I'll probably end up replacing the points with the little trigger gizmo recently discussed, like I did on my 3416H last year. Still working great on that machine. Thanks for the suggestions. Brent

Brent, There's nothing wrong with your setup. No notches etc are needed. I just now took out 5 bolts in less than 2 minutes and the engine is completely exposed. It took 3 minutes to put back together with no fooling around with alignment etc...Woody

Brent, Do you see the metal plate in the way? Take out the bolts on the sides and one bolt in the front and the offending metal comes off. My original engine has the points in the same position. It's supposed to look that way and you don't have to bother with the points modifications...Woody

My MW 725 has the notch w/the j-nut to remove the points cover I have never seen a metal plate that covers the notch. The simp 700 (w/a model 19 magnamatic) has a homemade notch that was torched out. John H Woody, what point replacement kit are you talking about? Where can it be purchased? Is it easy to install? Do you know if it will work on a model 19 magnamatic? (I feel like a kid that asks too many questions) John H

Johnmonkey - see this post from a few days ago, along with the link to last years discussion on the topic. Brent[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=7248&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=7248&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

Brent: Sorry, but I've been busy with a little pickup maintenance, and mowing, etc.... I did check mine out and, as is stated above, the points cover is blocked. While I didn't go to the lengths Woody did, my setup looks exactly like he described, i.e., the offending piece looks like it could be unbolted relatively easily. (More so in my case, perhaps, as I have no grill. :( I'm glad you asked this question, however, as I noted the r/h side grill/hood support tube is cracked, all the way through I think. I haven't actually used my 700 yet, as I have a number of repairs yet to go, or I guess I'd have noticed. So, something to weld now.... But I'm glad I noticed it, because of your question. And it sounds like your on your way to a new set of points, so that's good. Peter

• 4 weeks later...
i have a simplicity 700 and alway thougt it was the origonal engine but my points have had the side of the hood cut out for easy acsese so maybe mine is a replacement when were these replacements? factory? 8 horse instead of 7? where were the points on the original engine? thanks for any information