Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repaired deck rollers How do I get it level now on

mowerman1193

Well started out by replacing the wheels on the deck (this model does'nt have the rollers all the way across)as I was lucky to get 2 1/2 inch cutting hieght and it is supposed to go to 3 1/2 inch.The arms that the wheels mount to was almost worn off the deck so I got some 5/8 in. rod cut it to length and drilled it out for cotter pins.I cut the old one off the arm and welded my new ones in.Sure beats buying new arms for it at about $80. for one side and $50 for the other.Intalled my new wheels and put it back together.Got alot more hieght now but can't seem to figure out how to get it adjusted.I did a search on this site and found that it needs to be 1/8-1/4 in. higher in front.My problem is I get it that way on one side then do the other side and recheck it and it is all messed up on the first side I did.Then I noticed that one side is lower that the other.Now I have it really messed up and just want to start all over from scratch. Anyone have any tips or a manual for this model tractor that can help me out? Thanks for any help or tips, mowerman1193

Sorry my title got cut off.This is on a Simplicity 4211. Thanks, mowerman1193

I have a 4212 that hasn't had any type modifications and mows very good. I'll park it on the shop floor, do some measuring and get back to you, if it will help.. Don't remember if I got a manual with this one-I'll check.. It's a hydro I bought from a guy for $200.00 that works perfectly. Don't use it much but, seems to be a good tractor.. Marion Kerr

Hi Mowerman, there should be two adjusting rods running from the front of the deck to the rear. These two rods adjust the front to back tip to tip mowing height. There is also an adjusting link on the left hand side of the deck. This link adjusts the side to side mowing height. This link has a tendancy to oblong the hole it is inserted into. To deal with the wear issues, I would adjust it side to side to get it even. Drive the tractor around to get it to rattle into place, recheck. After a couple of times, you will have it. Then go back and adjust the front to back rods. Use equal turns on your adjustments, it will be easier to do this once the deck is leveled side to side. If you have any questions, drop us an e-mail. Neal

Thanks Neal,I found out that you are right about the side to side hole getting oblong.That seems to be where my problem is now.Thing I will weld the hole shut and redrill it out to the right size or drill oversize and use a bushing. Thanks for your help, mowerman1193