Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

300&400 series ACs

Cal

I would like to put an end to the notion on this site that the 300 400 series tractors are a bad investment or not a good machine. There are as many parts available for these as any other 30 yr old tractor. Just contact an AGCO ALLIs dealer for parts, most mechanical parts, a 42" mower can almost be built from parts including deck hsg. sheet metal is hard to find ,but parts tractors are still available. These are the only true A Cs built in lexington S C. Cal

don't let them get you down. I'm a proud owner of a AC312 This is a working machine !

Speaking of them Simplicity strips, I noticed mine made it though the winter, is that normal???MPH

My wife's uncle has had a 312 since it was new. He don't use it anymore but, I'm having one h--- of a time getting him to let me have it.. The old goat is more sentimental and stubborn than I am!!!

Nothing is a bad investment if the owner is happy with the unit and happy with what he pays for it. Personally, I think of these series of tractors as more of a collecter's item than a working machine, much like the AC built Homelites. I feel that the problem lies in that these tractors were built in large enough numbers that they are not yet as collectable as the AC built Homelites, but they are just as difficult to find certain attachments for. I have a friend that has five or six 300 and 400 series, as well as three or four 700 series AC's. His only complaints seem to be in the price of new replacement parts that are strictly 300 and 400 series, and the fact that used parts for these units are much more difficult to find than for his 700 series. Pat

They are great units! I'm building a 312 into a "puller" this year and would like to put a loader(cheaper than the $1600 Ark on Ebay, of coarse) on another. I also have a 410 and a 312S for parts. They have all of the Simplicity design features and principals, like the famous stripping cut. Just a different look to things. Oh, and if anyone needs parts, I'll see if I have it on my 2 parts tractors. One has a 10 HP Kohler (less carb and starter) I know nothing about?

My 314-D is still being rebuilt (engine, front end, and paint) Will definitely have her running this spring tho. I have noticed the deck is not as deep as on my Landlord so dont know how good it will mow but as Jack said it should give the stripping effect. I like the electric lift and electric PTO clutch. They may not be the best method for other implements but cant beat them for mowing. Dick

• 1 month later...
My dad bought his first new tractor in 73, A 416s. He had 5 boys and 5 acres of mowing, 600 ft of snowblowing and Moms huge garden to rototill. Still ran like a top when he sold it 12 years later. When I saw the same 416s tractor at a dealership in 88 I had to buy it. It has cut my 3 acres for 14 years now. They are an excellent investment in my opinion. Ken

I have a 314-H and it runs great! I just restored it with new pait and everything. It will hardly ever run out of power. I wish parts were still available. Starts everytime!