Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Modifying a Sunstar to mount an FEL

MARK (LI)

I have a chance to pick up a Sunstar 20 in decent shape with less than 500 hours on it...and an old Craftsman FF24 with a loader...it runs, has a 24HP Onan but needs some steering work.... and I am thinking of getting both of them and putting the loader on the Sunstar (power steering is calling me)...has anyone else done this ( or is that a dumb question)?...Is it a difficult process?

• Like 2

While you can put anything on depending on how much work and fabrication it involves., might be a good idea to leave the loader on the FF24. The steering on the sunstars is a bit of a weak point....I know mine needs some attention. And if the craftsman has some steering problems....well guess why.

Front end loaders can and usually are hard on the machine just because what a guy tends to do with them.

Harry

• Like 1

I have  CUB 129 with a Danco...and I just finished fixing the front end and the steering on that, so I know what happens...and it is why I would like power steering.I think it would be easier to find parts for the Sunstar than the Sears....unless I can make the part for it...and I have considered it

I never heard of any steering problems with Sunstars...what happens?...Just abuse from overloading and stuff like that, or does it have some weak components?

Edited by MARK (LI)

I wonder how hard it would be to rebuild the steering on the FF using power steering components from a Sunstar? Sunstars are seemingly everywhere, and the prices are dropping every year it seems. You rarely ever se the FF series tractors anywhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

I wonder how hard it would be to rebuild the steering on the FF using power steering components from a Sunstar? Sunstars are seemingly everywhere, and the prices are dropping every year it seems. You rarely ever se the FF series tractors anywhere.

Sam I used the Sunstar steering to put on a Kubota tractor so assume it would be a bout the same , may need small hyd pump, I had to go to a longer hyd cylinder for my application , Just my $.02

the way the sunstar uses independent movement from side to side on the front axle there is a lot more moving parts than on a solid front axle so the sunstar wares out bushings and pins alot faster due to the parts moving more. add a loader and it will ware out sooner yet. proably rebuild the sunstar front end twice to the one rebuild of a solid front axle

13 hours ago, 720nut said:

Sam I used the Sunstar steering to put on a Kubota tractor so assume it would be a bout the same , may need small hyd pump, I had to go to a longer hyd cylinder for my application , Just my $.02

So...what was involved in that?....Was it difficult to do?...there has to be a hydraulic pump for the loader....are you suggesting adding one for the steering?...since the FF needs steering work, it may pay to go that direction...there are also 2 Deutz 1920 Ultimas available cheap...non running, but the power steering units could come off them...and have some spare parts

Edited by MARK (LI)

11 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

So...what was involved in that?....Was it difficult to do?...there has to be a hydraulic pump for the loader....are you suggesting adding one for the steering?...since the FF needs steering work, it may pay to go that direction...there are also 2 Deutz 1920 Ultimas available cheap...non running, but the power steering units could come off them...and have some spare parts

The build is documented on here Talking Tractors I believe , I'm real bad at trying to find the posts, others seem to be able to find them.

I had to build bracket to hold sector , lots of new 3/8 hoses and fittings as it was really tight. For the Kubota I pulled hydraulics off of the hyd system just needed to build adapter for system, your case you will need a small hyd pump to power, keep in mind you will also need a small reservoir , and any future attachments or needs when purchasing a pump.

Surplus Center has all the hydraulic stuff that a guy could want and they are real reasonable to deal with.

Just a couple of pictures of Kubota , showing how really tight it was , If I were to do it again I'd go with a 2" dia. cylinder instead of 1" that we used, it works fine but believe 2" would be better on a tractor this size.  owner was extremely happy so all that matters to me

DSCN1888.JPG

DSCN1889.JPG

DSCN1890.JPG

Edited by 720nut

If the FF has a hydrostatic transmission and a hydraulic lift, I would think you could just run the PS off that like it is on the Sunstar. Just hook it up the same way, prioritizing the PS by running the supply to it first and the hydro lift second off the PS aux port. The returns off both the PS and the hydrolift valve "T" together and go back to the return on the transmission.

The loader should have its own pump run off the tractors PTO.

The rest of the operation would involve shoring up/repairing the front axle and spindles, removing all the manual steering components, installing the PS valve, and welding on a cylinder mount to the frame somewhere where it wont interfere with anything, making sure it will clear with the axle pivoted all the way in both directions.

Did the same operation on a 314 Deere with a Brantley loader on it some years back.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

If the FF has a hydrostatic transmission and a hydraulic lift, I would think you could just run the PS off that like it is on the Sunstar. Just hook it up the same way, prioritizing the PS by running the supply to it first and the hydro lift second off the PS aux port. The returns off both the PS and the hydrolift valve "T" together and go back to the return on the transmission.

The loader should have its own pump run off the tractors PTO.

Just watched a video on the FF20 looks like lots of room under the steering to mount unit. And shouldn't be a problem mounting steering 

Was however amazed that the hydro lever on this tractor had same shift pattern as a Sunstar

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 720nut said:

The build is documented on here Talking Tractors I believe , I'm real bad at trying to find the posts, others seem to be able to find them.

I had to build bracket to hold sector , lots of new 3/8 hoses and fittings as it was really tight. For the Kubota I pulled hydraulics off of the hyd system just needed to build adapter for system, your case you will need a small hyd pump to power, keep in mind you will also need a small reservoir , and any future attachments or needs when purchasing a pump.

Surplus Center has all the hydraulic stuff that a guy could want and they are real reasonable to deal with.

Just a couple of pictures of Kubota , showing how really tight it was , If I were to do it again I'd go with a 2" dia. cylinder instead of 1" that we used, it works fine but believe 2" would be better on a tractor this size.  owner was extremely happy so all that matters to me

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/59169-well-it-finally-happened-kubota-powersteering/?tab=comments#comment-473199

• Like 1