Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B210 sickle mower pulley question

SmilinSam

Seeing as haow they did away with the double pulley on the PTO after the B-110, what did they do about slowing the belt speed to the sickle mower attachments on the B210/212?? Did they have you remove the pulley for the mower and replace it with a smaller one for the sickle? Sam

My b-212 has the double-v pulley for the deck and has the smaller diameter single pulley for the sickle bar all as one unit. Ryan

Sam, I am not sure but I think that Herb said that they have a different drive unit altogether. Maybe try a search on sickles in the discussions. Chris

My B-210 had the same pulley setup as Ryan's, with a smaller pulley on the outside for the sickle bar...

Well if that ain't a pickle! I have several Junked PTo's from B210 and Simplicity sorts that have a single pulley on them. Must be replacements for the double V-belt one I guess. My solution for the meantime is to get a small pulley to drop on the shaft to run the Sickle when I need to. Thanks, Sam

Sam, Why not just bolt a smaller sheave to the larger? Make your own double pulley......

Dutch: Can you please elaborate on making a pulley for the sickle, running off of the mower deck pulley? I have the same problem as S.Sam, and if I could modify what I have (mower deck pulley only) that would suit my cheap self. Sam--don't scare me like this--LoL. I mean, I'm a long way off from using my 700 and sicklebar, and I know I have some sickle bar issues to resolve, like pulley size, how to mount, etc.... But when I see an expert such as yourself send up a "mayday" re: a sicklebar, I have to ask myself whom I'm kidding, thinkin' I'll figure mine out! So please let us know what you do, as I'll be coming down the same hedgerow, in a month or so.... Good luck! Peter

Dutch, I'm just short on pulleys at the moment. I have to go to the farm store today anyhow so I'll just pick up a small pulley for a 7/8 shaft. Incedentally, the B-110/112 was the last model to use a 3/4" shaft on the PTO. The B-210/212 and Simplicity 3300 series went to a 7/8" shaft. BigSix, This really wasn't a "mayday", I was just cruising for information on what kind of changes were made from one model to the next. Sickle mowers are no big deal, you just have to get them to run slow enought to keep from shaking them apart. They don't need to run very fast at all to cut. What kind or model do you have? Sam

I purchased two "hubless" or "turned" pullies. This is the kind that are smooth on both sides and have the set screw inside the "V" of the pulley. I use a 4" to run the mower deck, and a 2" to run the sickle bar. Pat

Peter, I’m certainly no sickle mower expert. But, one thing seems certain. To prevent damage, sickle mowers must operate at relatively slow speed (700-800 RPM). Instructions in operator’s manuals vary. Some talk about setting the engine to obtain a certain ground speed in a certain gear, other’s directly address engine RPM. Bottom line is, only engine RPM and relative pulley size control sickle mower speed (not ground speed). The engines used in Simplicity tractors are rated at 3600 RPM at WOT (wide open throttle). When using a sickle mower, the engine should be run at slightly more than ½ throttle (2100 RPM) to provide proper cooling and produce sufficient power. Since the BGB has a 1:1 ratio, at 2100 engine RPM the PTO pulley will also be rotating at 2100 RPM (too fast for the sickle mower). On older tractors (non-cone clutch center PTO), sickle mower speed is reduced by use of a smaller pulley on the tractor PTO. If the sickle mower pulley is 6” in diameter, the PTO pulley should be 2”. That will produce a 3:1 ratio (the PTO must turn 3 times to turn the sickle mower pulley once). The result will be that the engine running at 2100 RPM will turn the sickle mower at 700 RPM (2100 / 3). The problem is, some tractors have 2 sheaves on the PTO (see illustration), others do not. Why? I don’t know. Possibly, Simplicity supplied the required PTO pulley with some sickle mower kits. And those PTO pulleys were left on the tractors when the sickle mower was removed. If you don’t have a 2” sheave on your PTO, you can: 1) Install the correct PTO (new or from another tractor). 2) Buy a smaller pulley and change pulleys every time you switch from rotary mower to sickle mower. 3) Add a smaller or double pulley if your PTO shaft is long enough. 4) Bolt a smaller pulley to the existing larger pulley. The above applies only to the older style (single belt / non-planetary) sickle mowers (#210, 346, 402, 465, 538, 548, 623, and 687). On the newer tractors (those with a cone clutch center PTO), a different design sickle mower is used. The newer style (#785 and 1690030) sickle mowers use dual belts and a planetary drive to achieve a 3:1 speed reduction. Therefore, the same size PTO pulley can be used to power the rotary mower or the sickle mower.