Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 191707 Head Torque

WaltB

I am reasonably sure the torque should be 190 inch pounds. Am sending you a phote of sequence via e-mail.

I have a technique that I use on all of my engines that does not require a torque spec. I tighten the bolts snugly by hand, then in the proper sequence, I will tap the end of the wrench with a medium size ball-peen hammer, using only the motion of my wrist. The bolt will tighten, and stop turning. If you use only short taps you will get the bolts tight, but never break one. I've been doing this for years, never had any problem, and never had a head gasket leak. If you use a torque wrench, be sure to use a tap and die set and clean both the threads of the bolts and the holes in the block so that the torque is accurate and not due to dirt or burrs on the threads. Rod H.

Recently I was given a "basket-case" Simplicity 4208 with a Briggs 191707. The engine needed some TLC and I nursed the frozen fly-wheel/crank back from the dead. Right now my next step is to retorque the 9-bolt head. Could some kind person tell more what the torque should be in in-lbs and the sequence? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! 5-7-2 Thanks for the torgue sequence diagram and 190 in-lb spec. I'll do it and see what happens.