Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Economy tractor value?

thedaddycat

I have a chance to get an Economy tractor with a 14 HP Kohler, double transmission, manual lift and no attachments. He wants $1100, does this seem reasonable? The engine has had recent work, about $400 worth according to seller. He also has an Ottawa tractor for $900, I know nothing of them. If any member has any interest, contact me.

Thedaddycat, thats a good price on the Economy, these are tough little tractors. I've had the one my grandfather bought new in 64 for about 20 years now, parts are a little on the expencive side due to the company changeing hands so many times. But they do hold up well and are capable of more than you would think.

daddycat, that sounds like a reasonable price on the Economy. What size rear tires are on it? I have a '75 2414 (for sale in the ads section even as we speak) that has a 14hp Kohler, double transmissions, hydraulic lift, mower deck, and snowplow. I paid $2800 for it about three years ago, the seller wouldn't come down one nickle either! Like Dave says, parts are expensive and sometimes difficult if not impossible to obtain. Mine's been very good to me, but I've decided to get a later model hydrostatic tractor more suitable for my 2-acres. Good luck! Don

I know several people that own economy tractors and they would get rid of their wife first so they must be pretty good. there was a dealership for Power King (who bought Economy out) not far from my house. I kinda know the guy he might be of some assistance on locating parts and stuff.

The double tranny is an option I have no personal experence with. I worked at a place that had a standard version with a mower deck and hyd lift. $1,100 for one is a steal!! ScottS