Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord DLX - New to me and loving it

Schiben

Hi all,

I'm new here and just introducing myself (and my new to me Landlord). It was suggested I come here for info about my new rig from another tractor based forum. I've heard of nothing but the best out of this place, so I figured I should join in.

I recently picked up my '99 Landlord DLX. It's an 18hp, hydro lift, no power steering, 44" deck version. I think it's in pretty good condition for it's age, hours, and purchase price. The only negatives I think need attention (other than cleaning and maintenance) are fixing the cracked seat, replacing the headlight, I may need a new clutch bearing, and fixing up the rusted and peeling deck.

So far I've done a pretty thorough top to bottom clean and I'm really happy with the condition of it. I believe it had been stored inside most or all of it's life, so the paint is not too chalky or faded. There are a few spots of surface rust around bolt holes and joints that I plan on taking care of eventually though. I have done an oil change, have parts and plan to change trans fluid and filters, and lube and grease everything. Next spring I'll take care of the deck. From there I think I'll be pretty set. 

IMG_20191016_154041.jpg

IMG_20191017_113714.jpg

IMG_20191017_113725.jpg

Edited by Schiben
Grammar
  • Like 5

Welcome!  The Landlord looks nice for her age, I have not owned one myself but am sure they are very solid tractors.  You will find good, accurate, and friendly advice here, with a bit of kidding and joking of course, but I am sure you will enjoy being a part of it.  I would strongly advise spending the $10 to become a full member, it will be the best money you will spend!  It gives you full access to all of the site which is priceless!

Good luck with the tractor!

Steve

• Like 3

Thanks for the welcome everybody. 

I'm looking forward to actually using it next year. Only got to try it a couple times since I picked it up. I need to find a good pattern for my yard now too!

• Like 1

The 44" and 50" family of decks have a fantastic cut!  You might be better off without the power steering because it is known for being difficult to keep a straight line of cut as it is  a torque generator system instead of full hydraulic steering.  Be careful not to damage the white plastic around the fuel sight gauge as it is obsolete.  

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris727 said:

The 44" and 50" family of decks have a fantastic cut!  You might be better off without the power steering because it is known for being difficult to keep a straight line of cut as it is  a torque generator system instead of full hydraulic steering.  Be careful not to damage the white plastic around the fuel sight gauge as it is obsolete.  

Yeah, I've read the smaller decks really give a good cut. My yard isn't that big and I have some spaces I need to fit through, so I'm sticking with the 44" no matter what.

Unfortunately, the white plastic part is already a little cracked. Thanks for the heads up though. I was thinking about digging into the line to see if I could replace it. I can't see the fuel level well

8 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Nice , welcome to the site and be forwarned that that this is contagious666

LOL, thanks for the warning!

i have had an identical one since new in 99 have a blower and cab on it now. love it ! picked up a 99 20hp with ps last year.

had a blown motor and probably hadnt seen a grease gun. rebuilt what was needed and a brand new 18hp vanguard. my 44" deck is now on it. also new ps parts.and yes, it wont walk a straight line like they said. WELCOME to you and your dlx !!

irv toms

i made a repro of the sight gauge retainer out of black plasticfender liner materailand bent it with a heat gun .not perfect but adequate.

002.JPG

001.JPG

Edited by irvtoms
  • Like 2

Looks really nice irvtoms!

It seems like it's rare to find one of these that doesn't have a broken headlight and rare on a lot of tractors to not have a cracked and torn up seat. I'm looking forward to getting mine a little more respectable looking in that way.

That sounds like some good work on the sight gauge. Mine is still holing everything in place. It's just missing a little on the front side.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:16 AM, Schiben said:

Hi all,

I'm new here and just introducing myself (and my new to me Landlord). It was suggested I come here for info about my new rig from another tractor based forum. I've heard of nothing but the best out of this place, so I figured I should join in.

I recently picked up my '99 Landlord DLX. It's an 18hp, hydro lift, no power steering, 44" deck version. I think it's in pretty good condition for it's age, hours, and purchase price. The only negatives I think need attention (other than cleaning and maintenance) are fixing the cracked seat, replacing the headlight, I may need a new clutch bearing, and fixing up the rusted and peeling deck.

So far I've done a pretty thorough top to bottom clean and I'm really happy with the condition of it. I believe it had been stored inside most or all of it's life, so the paint is not too chalky or faded. There are a few spots of surface rust around bolt holes and joints that I plan on taking care of eventually though. I have done an oil change, have parts and plan to change trans fluid and filters, and lube and grease everything. Next spring I'll take care of the deck. From there I think I'll be pretty set. 

Welcome to SimpletrACtors Ben and nice looker you have there. Keep her serviced and she'll serve you well. 

52 minutes ago, gwiseman said:

Welcome to SimpletrACtors Ben and nice looker you have there. Keep her serviced and she'll serve you well. 

This tractor joins my stable of older, uncommon, and needy motor-driven things. All my stuff works and I'm happy to keep it that way.

On 11/3/2019 at 8:39 AM, Schiben said:

This tractor joins my stable of older, uncommon, and needy motor-driven things. All my stuff works and I'm happy to keep it that way.

Welcome to the site!

If I were to get something with an engine that new, my local parts store would think I had died, and someone took over my body! They are used to me coming in looking for parts for engines older than around 1970, chainsaw parts for prior to electronic ignition age, Power Products parts, and so on. Nothing at all wrong with the older, uncommon and needy group of toys.

Ha! I guess older is relative here. 

My vehicles all in the same class of NLA parts.

I drive a Saab (they're gone and it's a wagon)

I ride a Suzuki TL1000S (odd duck and only made 5 years and didn't sell well)